Nissan Fundoplication Re-Do

Posted , 2 users are following.

So, I had a Nissan Fundoplication 10 years ago.   I had been diagnosed with Barretts. and it was pretty bad covering almost half of my espohogaus.  I've since had radio frequency ablation to clear it, but of course, that isn't necessarily permanet, as it can come back.  I am now 68, and on Medicare Advantage at Kaiser.  

In the last six months I've been experiencing a lot more belching, and I also just recently experienced some reflux in addition to the belching.

When I talked with my Gastroenterologist, he said a re-do of the Fundoplication was not recommended as it was a difficult surgery.

But, I read on the net that re-do Fundoplications are common and that some have had good luck with them.

I'm asking those that have had a Fundoplication re-do, was it difficult?   Did it work?  Was it really that hard?

I'm worried that because of my age, or for some other reason, my Doctor is just not advising me correctly, maybe because the insurance doesn't want to pay for it, or because of my age, they just are giving up.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

I'm 75 and having surgery for the first time so I hope you doctor doesn't think you're too old.  I too have Barrett's and I had high grade dysplasia that was removed by mucosal resection.  Have you thought about getting a second opinion?  I really hate the idea of having the surgery because I feel fine (silent reflux) but I'm scared silly of Barrett's.   

• Posted

Yea, I'm thinking of getting a second opinion or just changing Doctors.  All the best for your surgery!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.