Nissans Fundoplication

Posted , 6 users are following.

I'm due for a Nissans Fundoplication in April, I would love to heear from those who have already been through the process and what they have experienced.

Thanks Pam from Wales U.K.

2 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi Pam

Its luck of the draw I think. Lots of people say its the best thing they have done.

Personally I regret it, Yes - the op was a success - I can eat OK etc etc but my reflux has come back worse again now.

Sorry don't mean to be negative or scare you smile

• Posted

Hi, when you had the op can you describe the feeling of not being able to swallow properly, I'm freaking out because I can't imagine not being able to swallow. I do have an anxiety issue and I'm very worried about the after surgery effects.

Thanks for replying so quickly to me.

• Posted

Hi

It felt like something was stuck - I had to keep swallowing and take small sips of fluid to push it down. The first few times was a bit scary but I got used to it after a few days. Worse foods for me were bread, scrambled egg and rice (unless there was sauce with it). It did ease off after a few weeks and I am fine now. You just have to learn to eat differently. Take smaller bites, chew well and much smaller portions. If I eat a big meal now I suffer for hours. This is because you lose about 1/3 of your stomach volume with the wrap. I now eat little snacks throughout the day which is ok. I lost about 1.5 stone after the op.

I can belch ok and unfortunately had a sick bug a few weeks after the op. That was weird. I kept heaving but only fluid came up. I stay away from anything fizzy. Other than that I am fine eating now. The first few months were miserable as I had a lot of diarrhea (that has gone now) and still suffer with some flatulence. It will all settle down, but it takes time. Just make sure you have a good surgeon as I did. It is a big upheaval to your digestive system and it needs to learn to readjust.

• Posted

Hi, I was due to have a Nissan Fundoplication 3 years ago and after looking at it in great detail I decided it was not for me, but I do know of a few people who were very happy with the outcome and their Nissan Fundoplication, so don't let me put you off.  I ended up saving up and paying for a LINX implant which does the same thing, it was very succesful for me, some NHS trust I am told now also offer this procedure, but not many as yet. It is a lot less invasive, so you recover much more quickly and it is reversible,  one of the things I really did not like with the Nissan, was the fact that you are unlikey to be able to be sick after it - so if you have a stomach bug or something you have to let it work its way through your system instaed of being sick, which would be the usual bodily function in reaction to it. Fizzy and gassy food and drink can also be a problem after a Nissan according to my research.  If a LINX implant was an option on the NHS, maybe even in another trust ( are you able to choose where to be treated?) or you could afford to pay for it, it is well worth checking out as another option.

All the Best, Cj

• Posted

If you google  The Reflux Centre - details of providers come up, to get a costing from them directly, they might also be able to tell you which NHS Trusts now do the procedure !?  But probably around / just over 5K to give an idea, unless it is now significantly cheaper. It really is expensive privately, but as I said, some places it is now available on the NHS, and I would have to say, it has transfomed my life, I could not lie down, I slept more than half sitting up before.

Neither I think is something to do unless it is a real last resort, the swallowing is an issue for a lot of people with both proceedures,  usually only to start with. Obviously with the Nissan you will know it is quite a few weeks till you can it normal food.  I luckily did not have a problem swallowing, I eat normal food even after the op and then from the next day on. I had come off the Ezomeprozole in one the day of the op, which caused a problem with far too much saliver if I eat anything. As soon as I  I went back on to it and reduced over a few weeks, I had no issues after the op at all.  What I am left with however is, I do have trouble swallowing  small, light stuff,  like fluffly rice (like Indian Pilau Rice), Cuscus etc, it seems to create something like a beever damm that blocks up and causes a blockage and then a spasm, which is painful.

It can't be pushed or washed down,  you just have to stay calm and breathe till it passes, not a good feeling, so I now do not eat any light fluffly stuff,  yet rice in a Risotto (sticky/ stuck together) isn't a problem at all ! Wish you all the Best with it all. Cj

• Posted

I went to the Reflux centre first. If you meet the criteria it will cost ~£9K.

I opted for the Nissen privately and that cost ~£4K

• Posted

Just a quick word about linx, if you have a hiatus hernia above 3cm that also needs repair, you may not be accepted for this - but there is no harm in asking if that's what you decide.
  • Posted

Hi Pam,

I have just had a toupet fundoplication, only a 270 wrap - not the full 360 you are having, but I do have some advice - be prepared for intense shoulder pain - it will make you forget your swallowing for a few hours! Best way to help it is walking. I am still getting the shoulder pain now - it's almost a week ago since my op, but as I don't have any other apparent issues, it's bareable with the pain killers. I wasn't sure if I would have the same problem with swallowing myself - so I made loads of clear soups and stocked up on jelly and custard well before my op. You will probably be on a liquid diet for quite a few days - with mine I was able to do a 'sloppy' diet more or less straight away.

Hope that all goes well for you!

• Posted

Hi

i had the op about 3 weeks ago, a little uncomfortable but getting better every day, the surgeon said he had changed a lot to the digestive system so it will take some time to settle down.

l can only eat soft and small meals, which is ok as I am overweight anyway, and losing weight (good)

Yes only sip your drinks, I have been told not to eat bread and meat yet, it will take about 3 months before you can eat normal food 

And yes I would have it done again, it is very early days for me (only 3 weeks) I have sent over 

this site as ivery good site to read about it, but do listen to your surgeon as I think he know best.

http://www.ruh.nhs.uk/patients/services/upper_gi/non_cancer/reflux.asp?menu_id=11

Good luck

Emis Moderator comment: I have replaced the given link with the one above as the provided one didn't work. If it is the incorrect one send me a Private Message with the correct one and I can edit the post.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.