Next
  • Posted

I had it done 3 years ago now?

• Posted

Hi Linda

I am considering it as i dont want to be on ppis for life and zantac

would you recommend it .

• Posted

I would recommend it if you are suffering.

If lifestyle changes could help then id try that first.

recovery differs from each person.

you shouldnt really do much physically for 6 weeks.

There are chances that you could be left with a condition called dumping syndrome.

As the others have said too, you must carry on having checks(endoscopy)

You have to do whats best for you and your quality of life.

I must say even though i have been left the with dumping syndrome, i feel 100% better than i was prior to the op!

Best wishes in whatever you decide.

• Posted

its exactly as it sounds... meals tend to pass through the digestive system way too quick. i ended up losing 7 stone!

Im now on forceval a vitamin prescribed by SALFORD hospital.

I wont now eat when im at work and wait until i get home.

i have gained some weight back again now.

Not everyone ends up with this but it is something that you could be left with.

I still say it was worth it.

It did save my life.

i have barretts too and the cells had changed which were spotted when i had the surgery.

Results with surgery are very good but you must follow exactly what they tell you regarding the liquid diet, no lifting ect.

• Posted

I HAD THAT PROCESS IN MARCH OF LAST YEAR. IT WAS COMPLETED BY KEYHOLE SURGERY AND SINCE THEN I HAVE NOT HAD TO TAKE LANSOPROZOLE SINCE.

• Posted

Hi Andrew

Do you mind me asking how old you are i am 39 this year i was diagnosed with GERD last year .

i dont want to be on ppis for life as i have had terrible side effects.

has anyone had any mouth issues my tongue has a burning tinglins sensation and i have a pale coating on it and yellow at the back .

sleep is awful

• Posted

HOW QUICK IS THE RECOVERY ANDREW

I WORK OUT A LOT SO I DONT WANT TO MISS MUCH GYM TIME

• Posted

Because it was completed by keyhole surgery, the recovery time was relatively quicker and minimal scarring - only 4 tiny cuts in my case. i was on a liquid / very soft food diet for about 4 weeks and not really permitted to lift anything heavy for about 8 weeks. i was advised against driving for 10 days following the procedure and also advised to let my car insurance company know. all is dependent on the advice you are given prior to any procedure and best to ask those questions beforehand. Given what i was suffering before, i am glad i underwent the procedure. i have Barrets and although the procedure i had will not make it disappear, it might halt its devevelopment. i hope this of help.

• Posted

I WAS 57 WHEN I HAD THE PROCEDURE. MY BARRETS AND HIATUS HERNIA PROBLEM WAS FINALLY ACKNOWLEDGED WHEN I WAS 52 HAVING TOLD MY DOCTORS ABOUT THE FAMILY HISTORY OF IT FOR THE PAST 30 YEARS AND BEING FOBBED OFF WITH MEDICATION FOR SYMPTOMS OF STRESS AND INDIGESTION. FOR THE PAST 6 YEARS I WAS ON 30MG LANSOPROZOLE AND RANITIDINE DAILY. NOW I DO NOT HAVE ANY RELATED MEDICATION TO TAKE AND SO LONG AS I KEEP CLEAR OF LARGE MEALS, LATE NIGHT MEALS, VERY SPICY FOODS AND EXCESS ALCOHOL, I SHOULD BE ABLE TO MANAGE THINGS. BEAR IN MIND THOUGH! THAT EVERYONE IS DIFFERENT AND EVEN, AS I FOUND, ADVICE ON THE INTERNET DIFFERS?

• Posted

Hi Mike, I was diagnosed with Barretts sept 2018 and was on ezomeprazole since then. I too have lemony, burning taste in my mouth for 5 mos now. Not sure if this is acud reflux or ppi side effect. How are ur symptoms now?

• Posted

hi merlyn i still have a burning mouth with a heavy coated tongue .

• Posted

Same here. I tried to list all food that could cause it as well as take my ppis but not eelief for symptoms

• Posted

Yes, I had it done 10 years ago. I was so glad that I did! I went from needing large doses of Nexium (which was the "latest and greatest" at that time) to not taking any at all. The procedure will not keep you from developing cancer (I know this first hand) so don't neglect your routine endoscopies, even if you have the Nissan's done.

• Posted

HI BECKY WHAT DOSAGE OF PPIS WERE YOU ON

I AM TRYING TO JUST TAKE 40MG NEXIUM AND 150 ZANTAC TO CONTROL IT

HOW OLD WERE YOU WHEN YOU GOT IT DONE

• Posted

I don't remember the dosage exactly, but I think it was 120 mg. I was 51 when I had the surgery but I had been diagnosed with Barrett's when I was 31 so I had been on medication for 20 years. I also had a large hiatal hernia that had to be repaired.

I had no bad after-effects from the surgery. I had to take smaller bites and make sure that I chewed thoroughly, but I didn't develop dumping syndrome. I was back at work in 2 weeks, if I remember correctly, and I never had to stop driving. You will want to hold off some on the gym because you don't want to risk incisional hernias, but when thinking about a lifetime, a few weeks is a very small amount of time.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.