Nissen fundoplication operation

Posted , 7 users are following.

I have finally been given a date for my surgery... It's next week! Any tips on before and after care please, and feedback from anyone who is post op!

Many thanks

0 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Prev
  • Edited

Hi everyone,

Well my op didn't quite go as planned. They started laparoscopically but the surgeon nicked my spleen trying to move some veins that were sticking to my stomach. I started to bleed and didn't stop then. They tried to cauterise the bleeding even getting the senior surgeon in to help but they had no alternative but to open me up. The intended hernia and reflux fix part of the operation was a success as far as I can feel but obviously having open surgery and blood transfusion has hindered my recovery massively. I was wondering if anyone suffered from shortness of breath following the op, I have from day one, so much so I feel on the verge of fainting if I walk too far (I'm in no way exerting myself either). Would welcome some feedback hopefully positive that this is just a temporary issue. I'm only 10 days post op

• Posted

I had a nissan fundoplication and hernia repair 4 weeks ago first 3 weeks felt very sob on walking couldnt walk far it has started to ease now as i am getting stronger, if that helps even went to GP first week as it scared me and he told me it was normal x
    • Posted

That has eased my anxiety a lot thank you. Im still extremely sore and unable to do much but I am not really taking any regular pain meds as I am not too keen. Am sure it will all be ok in the end. Thank you
    • Edited

I am still sore 4 weeks on but i been taking regular pain killers as it was very painfull , dont suffer, i am still having chest and back pain when i eat certain things i am still on soft food xx they say it is a slow recovery just take it easy xxxx
    • Posted

3/3/2020

I had the nissen fundoplication on 2/9/2020. 3 weeks in I'm eating smaller portions of food that I chew very well. my concern is that I get back pain after eating in my upper back. has anybody else experienced this?

• Posted

Sorry to hear your surgery didn't go too well.  I'm nearly six months post op and still have nausea and diarrhea.  Hopefully these  symptoms will clear up soon.  Do hope you make a good and speedy revoery without too many post op problems.

good luck.

Val

• Posted

Thank you val, me too! I am suffering with nausea a lot I was hoping it would subside soon.. Do you regret having the operation at all? I'm trying to find a positive light at the end of the tunnel really.
  • Posted

I too am trying to think positive.  Right now I've taken an anti nausea pill and am lying down.  It usually passes in about an hour.  Sometimes when I feel like this I wish I hadn't got it done.   I didn't realize I would have these post op complications.  I'm still hoping the will pass.  I've heard it can take up to a year to completely recover.  I'm half way there so here's hoping!!

Val

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.