nissen fundoplication post op

Posted , 15 users are following.

4 weeks today that i had the surgery for hiatus hernia which the surgeon said was larger than he presumed..I too had the stomach wrapped around the esophagus due to 60 % stomach acid in stomach.  The pains would mimic a heart attack for years and became more frequent.  I could not live with this any longer.  Surgery went well, i am on a slippery diet now,  things dont appear to get as stuck .  But I dont like the chest pains that i thought would leave me, now they are back occasionally.  That is what was so awful before the surgery.  Saw the Dr last wk  he said to eat ground food that slides....I tried and it gets stuck so i am back on thickened meals that slide, not so much chewed as yet....does this chest pain leave after awhile, what causes it?

1 like, 33 replies

33 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Ruth   Thank You for sharing, It is 5 weeks Monday since surgery,,,,,I will tell u where I am right now.  Thank God for my husbands creativity in selecting nutritious foods that i can tolerate.  I am beginning to chew and swallow without difficulty..I amy suggest doing what he does.  Yesterday, he cooked ground chicken, drained off any fat   put it into the Bullet or Ninja blender.  Then he boiled a potato and carrots drained them put them in blender and blended to whatever consistency u can tolerate.  That was mmy diets a week ago blended smooth nutritious foods.  You must get the protein in there, potatp either sweet or white and blend it all if need be.  That way your weight will stay on you a bit.  I have lost 10 pounds and its one month......i dont want to lose alot...in between meals i have pudding, tapioca, in fact we were out and went to Mcdonalds and i ate a small vanilla ice cream cone, cone and all.   I shocked myself of course very slowly but nothing got stuck.  Introduce foods by blending all sorts of things, he did ham at Easter, potato, beets, green beans.....Cornbeef blended doing the same.....The other day he  made in the pressure cooker   ground chicken  Kluski noodles which are firmer but slippery and mixed vegetables...Try these i am sure it will work and quite easy to do.  Fish also is good one soft and chewable...My chest pain is not so bad any more....But occasionally i have gotten a palpitation which i am not sure about.  I just pray hard that this is all worth it in the end.  My dr. assured me it will be and so far so good.  My best to you but do concentrate on good nutrition......Liz
    • Posted

Am trying to change my habit of eating my food too fast-- difficult habit to break!   Also, must learn to chew my food more slowly, also difficult to change.   I try to eat a soft-boiled egg or two everyday.   Have always enjoyed eggs.   I, too, eat quite a bit of puddings and ice cream.   Have not had difficulty with either of them.   And I've been an ice cream fan for years!!   I have been able to eat fish every now and then.   Fortunately, I feel more energetic most days.   Right after my surgery I felt so weak and run-down.   Had to take several naps during the day, but I am slowly getting away from that.   Thank God!   Hope that you get better, too.    These chat forums are so therapeutic- they help me a lot.
    • Posted

Ruth are  u on face book    Join it and we will be able to talk privately....I too enjoy our forum.....u sound like your doing the right things and it will take time ..... in the beginning it does take alot out of you and its ok to nap to regain strength.....whatever makes u feel better, do it....take care
    • Posted

Hi Ruth

I to have the habit of eating to fast and I have to catch myself all the time. After 2 weeks checkup I was allowed some solid soft foods, then my problem started, started to get lots of gas and nausea after eating. I am six week into my surgery. Sure wish I could eat all foods as the doctor has released me to eat what I want. I eat mostly soup,eggs and toast.

Jo

• Posted

I, like you, wish that I could eat whatever I would like to eat, but I simply can't do that yet.   This coming Wednesday our ladies fellowship group at church is having a pizza party- I plan to attend, but will have to bring my own food,... I know I can't eat pizza!   Oh well, I'll just be thankful for my soup!!   I still have problems moving my bowels.   Can only have a BM if I take a laxative.    But that problem is due, I'm sure, in large part because of the prolapsed bladder that I have.    I think that I will attempt to eat some prunes, maybe that will help.   My best to you, Jo.  Will pray for improvement for you!
  • Posted

Don't know what causes the chest pains but I used to get the very often.  After surgery I had a couple of attacks but now 5 months later I dont get them at all.  It can take a long time to get back to normal so be patient.  Hope you don't have too much discomfort as you heal.

Val

• Posted

Liz,

The pain you feel is an Esophageal Spasm. The hurt me up to a level 10 pain! The Nissan should help, if not go back to your Doc!!

• Posted

Hi I hope this reply will reach a few of you on this thread. I had a Nissen op and Hiatal hernia repair almost a year ago. I took things slowly and did everything I was told. The first month was a learning curve. Liquids then mushy foods. As food got stuck I learnt what I could eat and what I struggle with. Toast,bread and pastry are the worst. Meat has to be chewed. It is very easy to be talking and not chew food properly or be distracted and then swallow and it partially gets stuck! Fizzy drinks give so much wind! But I like Proscecco and a gin and tonic or two! Beware! I am pleased I had the op well I didn't really have a choice. My symptoms made it the only option. I just have to look after myself. Eat smaller meals and the usual 3 larger doesn't work for me anymore. I did get a chest infection about a month after the op. Coughing was awful. Then I picked up a sickness bug with the runs. I couldn't throw up! Just like white foamy stuff. I was scared the stitches would break but all was fine. I do get a few pains ( I used to think it was my heart) but this is when I lay down. I just think positively. The op is done and a year on and my body must be pretty well healed. I have what I like but just modify it. Too much Proscecco and I know it. Good luck to all x Patsy 

• Posted

Thanks for the updated info on this thread! I have been following to see if others are having same issues as I am. I am about 6 1/2 weeks out from my HH surgery and repair.    Some normal foods like grilled chicken and meatloaf are all going down great. My only real issue is the nauseous stomach that comes and goes.  I feel like this is because I don’t have normal BM unless I take Milk of magnesia.  I don’t take it every day. It makes me nervous that I’ll rely on it from now on.

Still no real burps to help with gas sad

Anyone else that can’t seem to shake nausea?

Thanks so much for having this foreum.     

• Posted

I had the surgery 3 weeks ago . I've been doing okay, but since I've started the soft food diet , I've started having sharp headaches over my right eye and down into my jaw. It usually happens while I'm eating or right after I eat. Never had these headaches before surgery or during clear liquid diet. Has anyone else had this and will they go away?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.