nissen refunduplication

Posted , 5 users are following.

See the surgeon in a week to discuss my options. I have a small. sliding hiatal hernia.

I vomitted many times in January of 2016 after being put on emprozole. I believe that is what caused my throat to get burned by stomach acid. My symptoms include reflux, burnt throat,post nasal drip. I'm a 57 year old male,in otherwise excellent heath.I hope to see an experienced surgeon in Boston,Ma.

I'm wondering what my options are ? Anyone ? Thanks, Stu

3 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hi.

I had a small hh too with awful reflux, I had from a child so a very long time.. I started on ppi about 12ish years ago, my last ppi was esomeprazole aka Nexium which I found worked better than all the other ones along with Ranitadine and gaviscon but I was still having symptoms.

June last year I had it all fixed with surgery.

It is a slow process with healing and getting used to my new stomach.

But I've not had awful acid like before, now when I burp I don't have my last meal making its way back up, I can sleep on just 2 pillows instead of sitting up to sleep, I can't eat big meals but that's OK coz I've lost a bit of weight since op.

Although I have more wind from both ends and hilarious noises gurgling in my guts after eating and drinking and a tiny bit of phlegm I can honestly say that I am glad I went through the process..

I hope you are successful in your decision and I wish you well.. 😁

Regards

Margaret

• Posted

Hi Mag2.

Thanks for your help. I'm not wanting surgery, but I need to resolve this for good. Just afraid of surgery, and possible post op.issues. Way too much to go wrong, even with the best surgeon

.Stu

• Posted

Instead of the nissen have you asked if you are suitable for Stretta treatment, if you don't know what that is google it, it is a lot less invasive than the op I am waiting to see if I am suitable for it, I also have a small hiatus hernia 2cm.Good luck,hope this is of some help.

• Posted

Hi joyce.

I thank you for the thought of other options. I will look into it ! Stu

• Posted

I too have a sliding HH. Both surgeons I have seen did a 48hr ph monitoring test. The last one was done in conjunction with an endscopy. I wore a device for 48hrs and they left a radio transmitter device inside me. This helped them decide whether surgery was required. There are a number of PPI's and it took time to get the dosage correct but I manage mine with medication. Here in the UK doctors are not looking at making money so surgery is always the very last resort. 

The reason I am reluctant to have the surgery that I have been advised by my surgeon that it can be difficult to be sick and you may have to go to hospital if it gets too bad. 

• Posted

That pH test had to be nasty !

I value everyone's ideas ,as this is serious surgery. The ppi's should only be a temporary measure. I call those meds "rat poison", as it damages the liver with long term use.Stu

• Posted

The ph test is not nasty at all. Asleep for the endscopy and then carry the little box on your belt, simple!! 

I have been on PPI now for over 10yrs and haven't seen or heard of any long term problems, especially with regard to liver damage. Here in the UK we have an organisation called NICE who control all the drugs that can be used in this country. This is especially important with our NHS as the drugs bill is huge. They are constantly monitoring drugs and quickly remove them if they are deemed unsuitable. I don't know where you got your information from but they are definitely not rat poison. 

• Posted

HI wknight.

It's a fact that any of these types of med 's damage the liver if used long term.

Typical use is a month or two, allowing things to heal. Long term use of these meds doesn't allow the l.e.s. to sense acid,therefore it will always be "relaxed", and never close, allowing any acid to reflux. Drugs will never cure this issue, rather band aid only. Mechanical surgery, or other means is the only cure, unfortunately. Stu

• Posted

These drugs can cause kidney and liver damage if used long term. Lets face it Brits like to thrash out at the Americans it's just a fact, but really what is up with that? 

• Posted

Cars kill people every day but it doesn't stop you driving them. They are so much more dangerous than a PPI and many other drugs but we happily drive them.

i checked on the NICE web site and all their research papers do not show any link for liver disease with lanzoprozole

dont know where you get this idea that we like to trash you out. Worked in the US for many years and never had that thrown at me. What we don't understand is why you don't want healthcare for everyone. You are so ripped off on prices for drugs and surgery. Took my friend to collect a prescription it cost almost $200 for an inhaler, here if we had to buy it  under $50. A hip replacement costs under $20,000 here, won't ask you what you charge but I have seen bills from my colleagues and you are being so ripped off, no wonder people find it difficult to buy healthcare. 

• Posted

Hi 5wknight.

Rather than argue, simply read the two common side effects of emprozole. Nausea, and vomiting. It is what made me sick in the 1st place. Now, I have all is these issues. Was without problems, until I took that crap. ! Stu

• Posted

I'm in terrible shape I developed gastritis from over use of NSAIDs I guess and still have it as it is quite difficult to heal. Why factor is I cannot take Prilosec or any ppi since my gallbladder is low functioning (I've been using them to treat my gastritis) because then I have spasms in the gallbladder that causes horrible pain, my gallbladder swells to and I can feel it when I lay down.  I've been eating fatty foods also, dairy ice cream and butter especially, then my gut aches. Now I'm at my wits end and have decided no more Prilosec and a new diet. I love food, but now it is impossible to be without pain. I have to find a way to heal my gut or I will whined up again with ulcers from gastritis. Also have a siding hiatus hernia. Good luck

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.