Nitrates and lungs?

Posted , 7 users are following.

I've cut smoked bacon out of my diet (or anything with nitrates) as it's said to be bad for people with lung issues. It was an American doctor talking about it but I also googled it and a UK national newspaper had an article too. I looked back in my food diary for when I started eating it and it was last September. In mid October I started a hard 3 months trying to clear something up in my lungs. Could be a coincidence but to be worth a try. 

Janet

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

• Posted

I haven't read much about how nitrates affect the lungs but it's been identified as a known carcinogen for years so it's certainly worth staying away from! Thanks for the reminder, Janet...  :=)

• Posted

I don't eat much red meat, thank you for that useful information regarding the bacon Janet 👍 xx

• Posted

I have Psoriatic Arthritis also, and am on a anti-inflammatory diet. Nitrates were included in the stay away from foods as well as sugar,  and processed foods.

i also have meniere’s disease....all of which are autoimmune diseases. I am on Symbicort for the bronchiectasis, steroid, which is working well.

Is Bronchiectasis autoimmune? Everything seems to cause inflammation??.

• Posted

Yes my respiratory consultant told me BX was an autoimmune issue. 

To be honest Karen I don't think nitrates are good for anyone. The article particularly mentioned COPD all lung conditions which is why it caught my attention.

I'm glad Symbicort is working for you, it really helps when  we find something that does. 

• Posted

I've avoided nitrates for decades, eat them once or twice yearly at most. Nitrates are especially bad for diabetics and mat play a causative role in Type 2 diabetes, especially if you eat them twice daily.

I was told by a lung nurse to avoud eating lots of apples, oranges, and potatoes for the sake if my lungs. I eat them all but not in large quantities and potatoes somewhat rarely.

• Posted

That's interesting aitarg...I've not been given any specific advice re diet. 

I eat a lot of fruit and vegetables daily. I'm intolerant to wheat & gluten free products & dairy and  I don't like pasta and rarely eat rice so potatoes are kind of a staple for me...

I was a pescatarian for 8 years but advised to start eating some meat again because I was deficient in zinc and that could be compromising my immune system; this was before I was diagnosed with BX. 

It was only last September that I introduced the bacon and occasionally a gammon steak. I try and eat meat twice a week and do feel my body is better for it. There really isn't sufficient protein in soya protein products.   

• Posted

I have to eat meat &dairy, Janet, as I can't digest soy well enough to eat that. If I buy bacon or sliced meat, it's free of both nitrates & nitrites.

The nurse who told me not to eat a lot of apples, oranges & potatoes (maybe some other veg, too) is a COPD nurse who runs classes for COPDs, 1 hour on breathing calmly thru coughing fits, proper med use, etc., with this segment on how certain fruit/veg send more of some gas, carbon dioxide I guess, straight into the lungs. COPD = CO2 retention, thus it's not a good idea to consume a lot of those every day. So one apple or orange or potato in a day was her suggestion, not one or more of each This is especially good advice for Americans who may eat potatoes 3 or more times daily.

I will try to remember to ask my new pulmo about this. If you don't also have COPD, maybe it doesn't matter.

• Posted

The article seemed to band all lung conditions together for their purpose of explaining about the nitrates. 

I only eat a single apple (if I do) oranges are too acidic for me and yes only a sensible portion of a potatoes. So I should be alright. I think in the UK we're quite traditional about which foods we eat at certainly meals so I wouldn't be eating potatoes 3 times a day!! 

Actually I won't be tempted to eat bacon again...my husband is Jewish and couldn't stand the smell of me cooking it!! LOL.  

• Posted

Entirely too many potatoes are part of the reason for the immense obesity problem we have. They're available in some fried form at all times of day and night at Mickey D's.

• Posted

It's a problem here too...deep fried food isn't good for anyone! 

• Posted

Chuckling here: Tuesday night 4 of us tried Fried Avocado w/Pepper Lime Aioli, just to have tried it. As with anything in a fried buttermilk batter, we ate all of it but said never again & what a waste of avocados. At least we're on trend w/2 N. American "foodie" cities. (Only some place as pretentious as Austin would fun itself "foodie," methinks.)

• Posted

Wow!!  I wonder who thought up that strange concoction?  eek
    • Posted

I'd say it's totally Southern but it's also been a rage in Montreal for some time, so who knows. Thoroughly destroys the delicate flavor of the avocado. The one thing seriously lacking from the pepper lime aioli was ,,, pepper! Black pepper, white pepper, red pepper, pink pepper, not an iota of pepper flavoring tho tons of garlic. Not to be repeated.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.