nizatidine does it help?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi I have been off prescription stomach meds for a about 3 yrs now because ppis don't work for me. I control my reflux pretty well with diet but I do get pretty fed up of denying myself all the time. Fridays is treat night for my family and last Friday I really indulged. Duck pancakes, chocolate cheesecake, crisps and malteesers. I don't normally indulge so much but I was just feeling fed up and in need of comfort food. Well now my stomach is really upset. Burning pains are back!

I recently went to gastro doc as I've been thinking of having op but he says I'm. Not bad enough, even though I experience reflux on a daily basis! He's suggested I take Nizatidine. Has anyone tried this and has it helped? I'm worried it won't work but just make things worse. When I stopped ppis I had bad acid rebound and it too awhile for everything to settle. But part of me wonders if my stomach needs this drug to help heal the gastritis. But wouldn't 5 months of ppis done that 3 yrs ago?

Any advice would be much appreciated. ThNks

Dominique

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi

​I was prescribed rabeprazole (Pariet) worked wonders....but i never get heartburn ...no matter what i eat ..just food especially rice and mushy food like mashed potatoes get stuck in my gullet and i get intense pains in chest (like trapped wind) I thought i had my trigger foods pin pointed but then again now i can eat those and feel fine. Only symptom i now get is a burning tongue and back of mouth.

​2 years ago endoscopy showed I had oesphagatis, Barretts, chronic gastritis..was on Pariet for a few months and taken off  as follow uo endoscopy 3 months later showed negligible Barrets.

​Perhaps you should try Pariet (rabezaprole)..its effect on me was in a matter of days

• Posted

Thanks for taking time to reply. It's much appreciated. How was you when you stopped pariet? Did u get reflux?

My mum gets food stuck and gets intense pain in her chest but she never got reflux up until now. My mum found out she has alchalsia which is where the oesophagus muscle doesn't work properly and doesn't push the food down properly. Are all your symptoms gone now?

• Posted

coming off Pariet was fine for me (no rebound) but its been 18 months since i stopped all meds and some of my symptoms are comnig back. should go back to gastro but at moment i am fighting a sjogren's flare up .Food still gets stuck ...i try and bring it back up again and spit out what comes up...not that much but enough to give me some relief. The food is undigested ..no acid with it...so must have been stuck in oesophagus .

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.