No advice

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi all - I've been prescribed Orlistat by my doctor, but with absolutely no advice about what kind of diet I should be following when I take them. I've seen suggestions on here to have only 30g of fat a day, but elsewhere (including the Xenical site) it's 47g on a diet of 1400 cals a day. Which is it?! Also, if I follow a low fat/low calorie diet, is it going to have any differential effect at all, given that I would lose weight on one anyway (if I stuck to it)? I get that the side effects kick in if I don't stick to a diet, so is Orlistat just a form of aversion therapy?!

I am puzzled and confused and don't know how to go forward, so any help appreciated!

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

the tablets do help partially as an aversion therapy because no one wants the side effects but they automatically eliminate 1/3 of the fat you consume so for every 3lbs you would loose by diet alone you'd loose an extra lb with the tablets.

i personally have never exceeded 30g fat on these tablets and have had no side effects and have known of others having a few grams more than 30 and having a close friendship with their loo. i guess people are different.

as for the GP its not surprising you got no advice, they seem to know very little about them

• Posted

Like many others, I've got most of my information from this website - and support from it. Look back through the posts and there is invaluable advice and help and details of experiences.

For me, the aversion therapy is a huge factor. Personally I try to stick to around 30g fat per day and about 1400 calories. Rosemary Conley recipes are good to use, because the diet is based on low fat, rather than low calories like weight watchers. I've rarely had any side effects - only at times when I've weakened and had more fat than I should. Fortunately the side effects haven't been too dramatic, but the fall from grace hasn't been dramatic either. smile

Good luck with your weight loss.

• Posted

I agree the tablets have a double affect. They reduce the amount of fat you take in from the food but also are aversion therapy. They will help you re educate your eating habits as if you are prone to weight gain that is the only weigh to keep the weight off. I can prove this as I have only been on htem for a few months. I was doing really well but for the last couple of weeks, for varous reasons, I haven't taken them and rather than sticking to good healthy eating and planning I have gone straight back to my old ways.

Back on them from today (although I will have a break over Christmas).

Good luck and, like you I had no advice from my doctor, I have used the advice on here and have had no side effects. Coming on here also gives you a boost to carry on as everyon is very encouraging and understands completely what you are going through

• Posted

I really appreciate the advice folks. I'm sure this forum is great source of information and support. One more question though - I get that I need to follow a low fat diet. But what about low calorie? I can see a scenario in which I ate a high carb, high sugar diet which was low fat - would that work? Goodness, you know I'm really getting a bit angry about how little advice I've had from the health professionals! But really, I need to take responsibility for my own diet. Again, I really appreciate your help.
  • Posted

you need to be mindful of your calorie intake, there isn't a limit but most people on here who do watch cals seem to be around 1250-1500 a day but a non dieting woman consumes 2000 a day so as long as you're not exceeding that you should be ok.

you should be drinking lots of water and exercising also so aid the changes

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.