NO AFIB FOR 4 YEARS and still taking medicine.

Posted , 11 users are following.

I never had any heart problems until in preperation fo a colonoscopy emptied my body of electrolytes and it was discovered that I had AFIB.

I was cardioverted and back into sinus four years ago. Since then Doctors have kept me on MULTAQ for three of those years and metoprolol for this year. My question is when can I stop taking meds for a non existant irregular heartbeat. I wore a Holter monitor recently and my cariologist said I do not have A Fib. I take warfarin regularly also. I just read that one should not take Metoprolol (Lopressor) if you have a slow heart beat BRADYCARDIA.

So The mecine I'm taking I presume is keeping my heartbeat under 60 beats per minute (I can go as low as 47 or low 50's). and then they Mayo Clinic internet info tells me not to take it. Also stoppingsuddenly can cause a stroke. So under doctors orders I've cut my dosage in half.

I feel I'm between a rock and a hard place.

So my big question if I don't have Afib for the last 4 years why am I still taking medecine.?

2 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I hear u Eddie....I'm dealing w/Drs(that think 1 size fits all) & all the meds....I have been on Multaq for about 3 or 4 yrs & Eliquis for 2yrs....now I'm on Xaretto & Multaq . asked my Dr if I still have heart failure(2 X's) & he finally said no.....all my labs & tests are good...he put me on Metoprolol 25 mg one @ bedtime.....nooooo...it lowers my blood pressure & good thing I looked it up on Google....everyone should use it!!!  Take while eating or after ..only!  I took it w/food & had pain & felt awfull....I'm in the best of health ever!!  I will still take (1/2 ) of the Xarelto & will take 1/2 of the Metoprolol till I find a new Dr... I use what is called the BEMER....hardly anyone knows about this...too long to explain, but if u want to learn about it go to  WWW.bemeramerica.com  the device is the electro-magnetic field.....A qualified woman comes to my house 2X's per. wk. w/long pad that I lay on & operates it for 8 minutes @ different parts of my body.....it is awesome.....I do pay her, since I can't afford $6,000.00 to $7,000.00 till I win the lottery......I wish you the best......let me know how u r doing.....(I'm 84 young)   live well...R

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.