No bowel movement for 2+ weeks

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello all, I am seeking info for my wife who has trouble having regular BM's. It is very common for her to go over 2 weeks without going #2. She is a very healthy person otherwise. She eats a very healthy diet with lots of water intake and a decent amount of fiber, lots of fruits and veggies, and very very little junk food. She has dealt with this condition for many years, she is only 34 years old. She takes laxatives, enemas, stool softeners and gets very little relief. She has seen a dr but gets the same answer of " drink more water and up your fiber intake." She drinks plenty of water and adds fiber to her diet and gets no different results. This may be completely unrelated but she also has scoliosis. Does anyone here find the relatable? Thanks

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hello Jake

My doctor kept saying IBS for years, I may well have this but then when they started the tests they found other things wrong. Has your doctor done any tests yet like a colonoscopy or a barium xray?

It did not matter if I ate loads of veg and fruit I still was not right, not the same as I had been and kept saying I am not good and dont feel well with it.

Maybe your doctor or another doctor could do some tests. 

Kind regards.

Michele 

• Posted

Yes she has had a colonoscopy but it was years ago and nothing obvious was found. Never had a barium from what I can recall, she does seem to stay full for hours after eating. We are looking at getting her thyroid checked, her family has a history of not so great thyroids and we just read that can slow down digestive functions. Thank you for your response
  • Posted

Dear Jake:

Your wife needs to ask your GP for a referral to a gastroenterologist straightaway.  A colonoscopy might reveal what's wrong.  There is no need for her to sufferand your GP should have done this before.

• Posted

She has had a colonoscopy but it was quite a long time ago, it didnt show any obvious problems. Would it be wise to have another one done since it's been years since her last one? Thank you for your response

• Posted

She has had a colonoscopy but it was quite a long time ago, it didnt show any obvious problems. Would it be wise to have another one done since it's been years since her last one? Thank you for your response

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.