No calf muscles

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi everybody posting in nearly 5 weeks post knee replacement and leg straightening. Why did I ever complain about my first knee replacement 7 months ago realised although the usual hurdles I got through extremely well. Been suffering with extreme cramps and involuntary muscle spasms through the nights, in my calf, practically no sleep!! First physio last week 85 rom and no improvement , leg not straightening at 20..horrified. Apparently my calf muscles are very short due to leg being bent for decades, has anybody else suffered from this? Continuing with exercises 6 times a day but to date can see no improvement 😩😩will this ever come right feeling very despondant, think I need a kick up the proverbial from Chico!!!!!

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

You already know that many, many people who have both knees done find that the two experiences can be very different...some better, some worse.  With that being no surprise, let's toss the emotional part of that out the window.

Next, your having leg/calf issues for decades puts you in a different category for recovery due to this pre-existing condition.  The first task is to find out if your calf situation is affecting your ability to get your knee ROM back.  That's probably a question for a physiotherapist who understands the complexity of the anatomy.  I would imagine that a lot of massage and stretching...especially the latter...will come into play.  You will most probably need a program designed to address both issues.  Lots of heat on the calf before stretching...

In the meantime, some topical Voltaren Gel (RX in the US; check for interactions) should help with the inflammation.  I also used AsperCreme 4% Lidocaine for numbing purposes.  Found out later that docs can prescribe Lidocaine PATCHES that could also help a lot.  Maybe using the topical products an hour before PT could be useful...worth a shot.

If you find "no joy" in any of this, maybe you need to interview a few sports-ortho guys to see if one knows how to handle your complex situation.  I'm sure you're not the first person to ever encounter this physical combination.  Someone, somewhere has a solution for you...gotta dig to find it.

Meanwhile...

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/tkr-strong-594566

• Posted

Your absolutely right Chico you have to deal with what you have to deal with.

spoke to physio yesterday I have two sessions with him then on my own. He says stretching is the answer I shall continue with my exercise regime for the next month and hopefully see some improvement , had decided to seek private physio after that who hopefully will offer a more detailed programme, massage and ultra sound etc, unless my Consultant offers an alternative,I see him after the two sessions he is highly rated so we shall see. 

I wish I'd been better prepared for this outcome but find pre op info non existent, if I know the score I know what I'm dealing with and feel more in control and more positive in my attitude.

Once again thank you for your input, greatly appreciated.

• Posted

Do whatever you have to do but OWN IT!!!!  If something doesn't feel right, find another way.  Give your people a chance or find someone with the specific experience to help you.  Be proactive regarding your health and recovery.

• Posted

Couldn't agree more, time and tide wait for no man!!😀

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.