No chance at meds

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi im a new member from a kinda remote city in Africa seeking advice on this. I just discovered that after taking multiple tests from different sites on the internet, i may have Mild to severe BP disorder. Problem is, where i live, there is no such thing. U are either considered Insane or Just whinny if u know what i mean. They are no good places to go to for advice, meds or anything mental beyond depression and total mental breakdowns so im sure there is no chance for me getting meds or let alone start depending on them for lack of a constant supply and financial issues, plus my family would surely not lend a hand even when they are fully capable. 

I feel useless even though im good at a lot of things, i repeatedly think of my failures, i don't think i like myself sometimes, i wish i lived differently, I failed my girlfriend who loved me a lot that she ended up cheating and its been a year now but i still think and loose a few tears over her now and then, My little confidence was completely destroyed, I feel better people could have lived in my place even though i am happy for nothing sometimes. I live in a very judgmental small society and i always feel like the awkward one and im afraid one day, i might have the courage, disappointment, impulse or anger to do it. However, i know once i start meds i might make it worse and i cant get them everytime since im sure there is no such thing as lithium in my town apart from the scientific element. At-least the alcohol helps but i cant manage to buy it everyday coz i cant even wrap my head around responsible spending. I know im a ticking time bomb but i am willing to work on it because i would sell my soul for a good, normal life like everyone else. 

Please someone tell me if there is things i can do without the medicine to treat myself or rather if its the only way so i can try to make ways of getting them. Sorry for the long verse but i have no where else to go. I need your advice guys

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi there friend .... I'm very glad you've written.   Your situation must be extremely hard for you, with no one around to help .... I'm sorry.   First of all ..... you are NOT whiney ..... please hear that.   While in the times of depression, any of us could be called that by people who do not understand how painful it is.   I do, and believe me, I totally sympathize with you.   Now, I'm not a Psychologist, but I've had 14 years of therapy and 10 years with meds., and it sounds to me more like a deep depression rather than a Bipolar.   With Bipolar, you have "up" times .... times when you feel good, energized, and ready to get moving.   Bipolar 1 is the more extreme of the two, and Bipolar 2 is the lesser version.   The meds. I take pretty well keep it under control so that very few people would know how down I was, or if I was "feeling better than typical" unless they knew me well.   If you don't have the times of feeling "up, good, ready to get moving, and energized" I'd say (and remember I am NOT a professional, just a patient) it's a severe case of depression.

I don't know how far you live from a major city, or even a medium sized city where they would have a good Psychologist and Psychiatrist, but I think it would be worth the trip.   Even if you stayed in that city for a few days to see the doctor(s) a few times, it would be worth it for you to feel better.    Depression is an awful thing to struggle with and those who have never had it, just don't "get it."   I get it, quite well.   I described to my therapist (Psychologist) early on that I felt I was sitting, naked, in a deep, dark, hole, covered with a black wet cold blanket and no one could or would help me.

Please find a town or city which would have what you need.   Even a stay for a few days in a good hospital may help you to get stabilized ..... but I mean a good hospital .... not a place that will look at you as crazy.

Go on line and type in Africa, and something like ...... ratings on good Psychologists, Psychiatrists, hospitals, and see what you can find.

Take care my friend and just know that there are many of us out here, and probably many more that just don't share it.

Blessings,

Barbara

Staunton, VA

USA

• Posted

Thanks for the response Barbara. My friend form the UK (faye) was helping me and described the highs like i get to have them. Im sure i have depression and anxiety but I also have times when i feel unusually happy for no reason and can shift from one to the next, sometimes in just hours but sometimes im sad for months and happy for a while though with moody moments, usually working faster than usual and not be affected by anything around me and the memory thing so thats why i was suspecting this is more than depression. i also answered some questions on sites which might not be accurate or even correct but i got these results plus one more site that was more like. please tell me if these could be misleading

• Posted

Thanks so much for your reply ,,,,,, I guess I didn't "hear" you say you had high moods, or I would have answered differently.    Perhaps your friend can help hook you up with a good Psychologist (PsyD) and a good Psychiatrist (MD) so you can get the help you need.    Best of luck, my friend.

Barbara

• Posted

just went through what u said again and depression has similar symptoms with these online tests ive had. Im more convinced its just severe depression like u said. Thanks for the help again. this makes me feel better. I mean, depression can go away just by trying, like doesn't need medications as much does it?

• Posted

Hi there OLD Man Logan

there should be a clinic in every remote town in all parts of Africa.

There is a doctor on certain days to see patients and then weekly there are nurses and sisters that attend to patients as well for milder conditions . (for example colds and coughs, stomach problems and so on)

Patients meds are then packed and sent from the city hospitals to the towns for collection every month by the patients and they are issued with a card with the date on it so that appointments are not missed or the meds is returned to the hospital concerned.

So if you are diagnosed with any mental health condition you can receive meds

There should be a clinic in your town as Africa has become health conscious. Everyone must receive medical care and may not be refused.

I do hope this Helps you.

Lets us know

Best wishes

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.