No clue if this is the right forum

Posted , 3 users are following.

For the past 7 months I have been dealing with several issues first it started as fatigue I thought I was over training at the gym so I took some time off but the fatigue persisted. Then a few months later I started getting sever brain fog that never went away I try to get sleep but I wake up every few hours. I also lost about 30 pounds in the past 10 months I have made some lifestyle changes that can account for some of it but I am ALWAYS hungry now and I eat all the time bit gain no weight. I also have periods (weeks if not a month) were I am extremely thirsty and dehydrated I drink and drink but I remain thirsty. I rarely saw the dr up until last year but I was making mothly visits I found out I had GERDS, I got a bad ear infection, a hydrocele,pulsating tinnitus, a bladder infection and now my sciatica is accting up(im a 37 year old male). I know this is unrelated to my other syptoms but thyroid issues run in my family and the drs are basically telling me its stress related or due to me being bipolar but I know its not. My blood work came back normal but I cant seem to shake this brain fog and other issues I feel like I am constantly stoned. Does anyone with thyroid issues feel this way? Or heard of anything else that cause these issues? Any info would be greatly appreciated because the Dr's have been no help thus far.

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

I lost weight while having a big appetite with Hyper-thyroidism, also difficulty sleeping.  Excessive thirst is sometimes related to diabetes, or sometimes heart failure.  I was more susceptible to infections with Hypo-thyroidism.  Bipolar medication can affect the thyroid, I think.  At least the doctor wouldn't consider the possibility that I was bipolar when I was Hyper-thyroid.  Brain fog was very bad when I was given anti-thyroid drugs, but i was fine with having too much thyroid hormones.  Is your pulse fast or slow?  Is your blood pressure normal, low, or high?  Are you sensitive to either cold or heat?

Basically, I think you need to persist with the doctors until they can find out what your health problem is.

• Posted

Thank you for your reply i have been bipolar my whole life which is how i know these symptoms are unrelated to that. I have had a rough year as far as family is concerned(divorce,my father died,i was homeless for a period of time, my son was diagnosed with autism) but i know this is a physical issue not emotional or stemming from emotional issue.I dont sleep and if i manage to fall asleep i am up 5 times a night often because of panic attacks, my blood pressure was normaland so was my pulse i have found i have been cranking the heat and wearing more layers than normal but i live in New England and it can get quite cold this time of year(it was 7 yesterday). I was on bipolar meds fr 10 years(effexor) but i weaned myself off at the begining of last year as it would make me violently ill  if i missed a dose and thats when my problems started really. LIke i previously said i had ear infections, bladder infection, a hydrocele, GERDS  and 2 infectiond from when i had to have hydrocle surgeries, my sciatica started acting up and now the back of my neck and spine have been killing me. I have made an endo appointment in hopes he can help but thats not for a month so i guess i will have to suck it up until then.
    • Posted

I asked about your blood pressure and pulse because with hyperthyroid your resting heart rate is the first thing to speed up, then the blood pressure will rise.  With hypothyroid the pulse may slow down and the blood pressure drop somewhat low.

The thing about the stress is that it can easily cause the sleep problems and lack of sleep can cause other physical problems.  It can easily become a vicious cycle.

I understand it is highly unusual for a male to get a bladder infection.  What did your doctor say about that?

Were your family members hypo- or hyper- thyroid? or some of each?

To me, being hyperthyroid was not nearly so bad as the treatment for it.  I would think you are better off not finding out than to find out you are hyperthyroid.

• Posted

I think my blood prerssure was 110 over 70 the last time they took it(in December). I know stress can manifest itself into physical problems but this is nothing that i have felt before(i have always been high stress). My eyes feel like they are going to pop out of my head lately and have been very itch as well also my vision seems "off" im not really sure how to explain it. Also recently i have had a hard time swallowing and while i am dehydrated i always find myself salivating. My mother has graves disease, had her thyroid radiated and the ultimatly removed and my sister has hpothyroidism. I honestly dont know what to do at this point all i get is its stress but I KNOW its more than just stress and its ruining my life. As far as the bladder infection my Dr didnt say much he just gave me some antibiotics and sent me on my way. I could manage with most of the other symptoms but the brain fog can be very disorienting and mkes me space out, the color white seems to mess with eyes or anything really bright.
    • Posted

The brain fog was the most obvious reaction I had to taking the anti thyroid drug (Methimazole.)  I hated having my thyroid levels lowered.  I refused RAI or surgery because I didn't feel like I could trust the doctors to adequately replace my thyroid hormones.

Bright lights/ white backlighting still bothers me a lot, though.

I would think 110/70 bp would not indicate any thyroid trouble.  Heart rate above 80 while resting might seem borderline hyperthyroid, though.

Did I mention that it was Wellbutrin that helped me the most with all my supposed "hypothyroid" symptoms?  And it was more of a physical thing than a mood problem.

• Posted

Sounds like hyperthyroid to me also need to rule out diabetes white antibody count needs doing and cholesterol levels checked, I'm hypothyroid and opposite to you, but it is hereditary this I know, also when you say the test came back normal ahem! What guide are they using as some docs use the old scale for reference ranges making sufferers that are hyper-hypo untreated  one of the first things with both is a rapid pulse and often presents as a panic attack along with brain fog and what I call swimming bath ears like your submerged in water, so very often mistaken and given the old ssi for depression and anxiety, I've learnt so much on my journey but you do sound hypo you must go back and if need be see another gp who will treat symptoms and not go on reference scales I also found adding ltyrosine and kelp helped greatly for the brain fog and energy levels and kelp is a scavenger for toxins and cancers so it detoxes you at the same time it's the miracle herb I wouldn't be without look it up and see what you think I know of lots of sufferers like us that this has helped but prime rally you need to get sorted in case it is thyroid related which I believe it is to stop conditions worsening for you, all the best michelle

• Posted

YES,I have SEVERE panic attacks now to the point were i feel like i am dying they often times wake me in the middle of the night and i feel  like i am "drowning" i cant catch my breath i have to get up and walk around to calm myself down. I have made an appointment with an endo as my PCP did the blood work and they deemed it "normal", i have had my pulse, blood pressure and cholesterol checked they came back good. My biggest thing is this brain fog i cant think clearly and it makes me depressed, irritable and pretty much hating life i also find myself crying over stupid little things(I have never been very emotional in all my 37 years).
  • Posted

This sounds more like addrenal fatigue linked with hypo symptoms if I were you I would join the sttm group on Facebook there is sooooo much support there and members can assist better but myself have gone throughout this so I sympathise totally with you, turned out my thyroid was out of kilter and causing panic symptoms like yours kelp does help and 5htp is fantastic too I don't like ssi meds they will make your brain fog worse, this is a cocktail that will boost your memory and energy, hope this helps you until you see your gp, hold on your not alone smile 

• Posted

I brought up adrenal fatigue and my pcp laughed it off and said its not a real condition. Im really frustrated at this point its killing my drive to do anything, I always hope I'll wake up and this feeling will be gone but it never is some days are worse than others and I can't figure out what makes it worse ive tried cutting alcohol and caffein out of my diet but the smptoms persist. I did notice that I do feel a bit better after going to the gym but a few hours after the sypmptoms return. I feel like I am going crazy at times the fog is so bad then the anxiety kicks in from it. I tried looking sttm up on FB but nothing came up what does it stand for I was interested in taking a looksy at the page. I will try the kelp and 5htp at this point I will try just about anything I just want to feel normal (as normal as I can be at least) again. Im so sick of being angry and short tempered expecially when it comes to my kids I feel so guilty about it,thank you for your reply and your recommendations.
  • Posted

I also have some many of the symptoms you talked about. I have bipolar and was on Clozaril for moods for 6 years, which was way too long bearing in mind I'm only 23. Myself and my doctor decided it was the right time to come off this particular medication ( I'm still on Lamotragine) and I've never felt worse. It took two weeks to finally get a diagnosis of cholinergic rebound syndrome and treatment, which worked. But anyway, I've not felt the same since. I've also had a complete brain fog. I can't think straight and I keep walking into things. I feel like I've not slept in weeks but I do eventually sleep most nights usually between 3am and 11am waking many times, which I can't seem to fix even when i tried a.course of zopiclone . I keep sweating so much and feeling too hot to sleep but then I get cold and when it's too quiet all I can hear is rushing in my ear and my heartbeat so loud. I've lost over 10 kgs but can't stop eating and can't stop going to the toilet. The heat though is unbearable. I feel like I'm on fire.inside sometimes. And the thirst is crazy and never stops. My hands suddenly look really different and feel dry the only thing that helps is E45. Anyway I just keep thinking what is going on. I've been on levothyroxine when i was younger and my auntie has been diagnosed with hashimotos. I've got an appointment with Gp on Tuesday but worried i will be told it's anxiety or stress when i know it isn't. I feel like I've drunk halfway bottle of vodka sometimes? And I can't seem to be able to explain that sensation to people properly. I thought I would share mainly because of the similarities. I just hope it gets sorted because I can't live my life properly feeling like this and I'm sure that's how you must feel too.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.