No date yet for knee op

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi,

Having benefited from belonging to a forum for breast cancer during my time of treatment, I am now looking for a forum to join whilst experiencing knee surgery.

I am to have a partial/full knee replacement depending on how it looks when they operate. I have been to 'knee school' and have a date this month for my pre assessment but no op date yet. I have recently taken early retirement due to ill health (I also have long-term depression and anxiety) and have too much time to think! My biggest worry at the moment is the spinal anaesthetic- mainly because I have problems with my back and am worried I won't be able to sit still.

I would love to hear from anyone who is going through/been there.

GG

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Start with this...

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/tkr-pre-op-expectations-622045

For the vast majority of us, a full recovery takes a year...accept it...own it. There are no expectations, no promises, no timetables going into this thing.  You DO NOT control this recovery...the knee does.  If you think that you do, you are sadly mistaken and this only leads to expectations, frustration, anger and depression.  You really don't want to go there. 

This is the most brutal surgery you will ever encounter and cannot be taken lightly or with any expectation that you will be fine in a few weeks or even a few months.  I'm 2 1/2 years post-op and have read close to 5,000 posts on here.  I can count the number of people who skated through this quickly on less than one hand.  The likelihood that you will fall into that group is very, very small.

The typical progression is that it takes the first 90 days to get past the worst pain, wean off the heavy duty meds and work like hell to get your ROM back.  The next six months will be taken up with all the muscle rebuild work which will get you to walk correctly again, regain your balance, enable you to start doing stairs again like a normal person and get back to work (depending on your job and recovery).  You might start feeling more like your old self around 9-10 months and then dance at your one year anniversary.  Some stiffness, minor pain and clunking sounds may persist for another six months.  That's very typical. 

Lots of strategies available to take your mind off the pain during recovery and you will be moving the knee as part of the recovery.  But you CANNOT push a knee like you can a hip or shoulder.  It will only swell like a balloon and set you back.  This is the reality of a TKR.  You are better off knowing this now than hitting the brick wall we all did later on.

Finally, understand that your normal life is waiting for you but it's down the road over the horizon.  Minuscule chance for an immediate, painless recovery.  Just doesn't happen.  And you NEVER compare your recovery to that of anyone else.  Statistics, even the above descriptions, apply only to a full population of patients...never to a single individual.  Your experience will be yours alone and no one can tell you in advance how YOURS will play out.

I have tons of discussions out there on pain, sleep, depression, exercise and more.  Read the one on Post-Op Depression...a common, well documented condition following the loss of a body part.  If you can anticipate it, you can deal with it since it is a very short-term state.  Just click my name and then scroll down in the discussion box to "See All Discussions".  Arm yourself with knowledge...it's your best and only defense.  The knee will be the knee.  Listen to it...

• Posted

Thank you Chico

I have digested all you have said and begun to find my way around the forum. I know quite a lot about post-op depression, having been there before and being a long-term sufferer of clinical depression too, so I'm wondering if not having a general will be better for me.

Best wishes

GG

• Posted

I had a general...I cannot imagine being awake for this.  But that's just me.

• Posted

proper sedation tho you know nothing bit save your body some after effects !

• Posted

Hello!

I am now about 9 months post Right TKR.  And I can say I am still healing but very glad I had it done.   

I had a spinal anesthetic plus a drug so that I didn't know what was going on (like the ones they give you when you have a colonoscopy).   Like you I was worried about the spinal but for me it was the right choice since the recovery time is faster than having a general.   Not sure what you mean about not being able to sit still?  All I remember is sitting, them putting the spinal in and then I was out...but I am in the US and not sure how they do it where you are.  

I didn't find this site until about 6 weeks after the surgery and by that time I was very depressed and wondering "why in the heck did I do this surgery" and "Will I ever walk normally again".  This site became my knee recovery lifeline.  

Read all of Chico Marx's post...and download his picture of the Reality of TKR recovery...I used it as my screensaver on my computer for the longest time and now it is hanging up where I see it everyday...I still need the reminder!

Best of luck.

• Posted

i sat on the trolley, legs over side, bent over a pillow and with zero fuss and in no time at all the spinal was in - much easier than i anticipated

• Posted

Hi I was anxious about this but was pleasantly surprised by how easy it was - in all honesty having blood taken can hurt more and take longer - and my advice is to ask for the strongest possible sedation - I knew NOTHING from the moment the anaesthetist said ‘starting the sedation’ to when they woke me up!  See my other posts for my recent learning from experience especially the need to make sure you get enough pain relief going and once at home, and the virtues of buying an icing device ( cryocuff).
    • Posted

Hi,

Thanks for your comment. How is your recovery? I'm still wavering between the two options. I know that a general will make me feel awful, due to past experience, but am so anxious that I might move when given the injection. I never used to be such a woos!!

GG

• Posted

Recovery has been very good and I’d definitely go for spinal again, I felt so much better than I expected after the op and because I felt generally better I think that helped me in the first week. None of that awful drugged up feeling. 
    • Posted

But I did tell them I wanted to have no awareness of what was going on and so they gave me max sedation without actually putting me under. 
    • Posted

Hi Celtic Girl, I'm pleased to hear you are recovering well. I've been through a lot over the last couple of years so not starting from a very good place but eager to get it done and be fit again so I will take all the advice I can get from the forum.

GG

• Posted

Hi I had a spinal anesthetic & it was fine. I also had some other anesthetic to keep me under as I didn't want to no anything about it. You don't have to have a spinal, talk it over when you go to your pre op & also with the anesthetist, he'll advise you. Good luck

• Posted

Take a look at my knee journal. Go to my profile and copy address in browser.

I wrote all about my knee journey. Might find it helpful.

This forum is good too.

• Posted

Hi Jenny,

I haven't been able to find your knee journal must be doing it wrong!

GG

• Posted

i think things may have changed since they updated the forum as I cannot see my profile info anymore. try in browser jenny meehan very patient knee replacement ...that should be enough I think.

• Posted

Ah yes! I have already read some of your journal - didn't realise you were one and the same! I will pay a bit more attention to it now. Thank you for sharing.

GG

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.