No diagnosis and tests all coming back negative?

Posted , 2 users are following.

To give a bit of background, my brother was diagnosed a year and a half ago with Crohn's after getting surgery for a fistula. Around about the same time we realised my symptoms fitted with the same diagnosis.

Fast forward a year and a half and I've had numerous tests (CT, Upper and Lower endoscopy and a White Cell Scan) yet everything has come back negative. At this point I'm frustrated because I lost almost 10kg over about 4-5 months and I definitely hadn't been trying. My GI is puzzled but is leaning more diagnosing it as IBS which is just making me feel like I'm going crazy and that it's all in my head.

I just wondered if anyone has had all these tests come back negative before but managed to get a reason other that just IBS? I'm just curious because when the test were done I wasn't feeling as awful as I had been 6 months prior.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

30 years ago I was in the same boat.  I had 5 years of negative test results and a diagnosis of IBS and then depression.  My life was in tatters and I was struggling to hold down a job I loved and a marriage.  It took a serious infection, hospitalisation and emergency surgery to finally diagnose agrresive Stricturing Crohn's in the Terminal Ileum. 

I can't believe that this disease is still notoriously difficult to locate and diagnose, especially with all the new tests available. 

One thing that they do now which has really helped with diagnosis is a simple Calprotectin test (pooh sample). This will instantly rule out IBS if it comes back raised. Then there's the pill cam!!

I really hope you get a diagnosis soon, and I hope it isn't Crohn's 

Take care

Hannah 

• Posted

Thank you for your response. I'm so sorry for the struggle you had to find a diagnosis, from everything I've seen around it seems to be a common occurrence. 

I'll have a chat to my doctor next time I see them. The pill cam has never been mentioned by my GI though, I wonder if they don't tend to offer it on the NHS.

Thanks again!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.