No diagnosis. Ongoing burning/stinging when urinating and red urethra

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello all.

I have had an ongoing issue. A year ago I had a rash on the head of my penis (red/brown) in color. The rash extended from my urethra on the gland. It was accompanied by burning and stinging when I urinated. The rash cleared up real quick, 3-4 days, but I was left with painful inflammation on the head of my penis. The burning and stinging also remained. My testicles also became red and swollen and painful.

I have tested negative for herpes, chlamydia, ghonorea, hiv, syphallis, and hepititis. The doctors have looked me over but don't seem to know what is causing it.

I have taken antifungal medication (terbinafine/lamasil) both cream and oral, I have taken moisturizers and protopic (dermatologist prescribed), and I have tried antiotics (1000mg of azythromicins, doxycicline for 1 month, and 10 days of moxifloxacin).

After a year, the redness has cleared up in my testicles, and ibuprofen is keeping the inflammation at bay, but I still have some redness and stinging/burning when I urinate. It has been very difficult to get a correct diagnosis from the physicians and have been told many differing things may be causing this from fungus to bacteria to virus.

Has anyone else ever had an issue that could not be solved like this? I am leaning towards it just seems to be a non-specific urethritis, but that is me guessing and there doesn't seem to be any real solution. Any help and or advise would be appreciated. Thanks all.

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

My story is pretty much the same. 12 months ago I had a swollen and stinging meatus which turned into nasty pain in my urethra and aching testicles (Epidiymitis). The pain was off the chart. Like you, i was given many different antibiotics but nothing worked. Things have calmed down but I still have urethritis and swollen meatus. Have you had painful urination/bladder and ejaculation? Do you know what might have caused it? (I think mune was after a bj). The doctors have told me it's most likely prostatitis which basically applies to anything in that area, so not much help.

• Posted

Yes. I had intense burning and stinging when i ejaculated. I have no idea what the cause is. I think it is most likely bacteria of some kind. The azythromicin helped a bit but nothing else. It doesnt seem to be gone though and all the tests keep coming back clear. BUT i know something is wrong because it burns and stings when i urinate.

• Posted

Try searching for chronic prostatitis or cpps. It's a condition that's thought to be as a result of an infection entering the penis, down the urethra to the prostate, which then causes the neck of the bladder to tighten and the urethra to become inflamed. Burning and stinging when you pee and ejaculate are typical symptoms. It might not be that, but if they can't find any infection (which is exactly what happened with me) then prostatitis might be the cause.

Are you getting any lower back pain, particularly when sitting on a hard surface? Is it sensitive around your perineum?

• Posted

Actually, a lot of my symptoms.do seem to fit with prostatitis. I think this could be it. Do you know what the treatment is? Seems like a long course of antibiotics?

• Posted

bump..same here. any help appreciated. had this since June ugh - burning/stinging when urinating and red urethra..more irritation after I urinate. Have taken antibiotics and steroid creams with no luck. Dermatologist doc mentioned putting me on fluconazole for a month on my next appointment (if my currently persist). I took a couple tablets of fluconazole from my primary doctor back in October. Recent dermatologist said he'd put me on it for a month - appointment in two weeks. in the meantime, more steroid creams. Hope to not have to keep living with this issue. Any extra info appreciated!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.