No emotion

Posted , 8 users are following.

I seem to be slowly improving after virtual breakdown in January followed by severe anxiety and insomnia.  Just wanted to ask if anyone experiences a lack of emotion in a situation where you should feel something?  Is it like a defence mechanism?  I can't seem to make decisions either.  My boyfriend was asking me if i still wanted him and did i love him and he was crying and pleading with me and i felt nothing.  It upset me later but not at the time. xx

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I don't know if it's anxiety or depression that does that but I have that too I can feel my depression creeping back so I can't tell which one is doing it but I suppose it's "normal " xx
  • Posted

Yes I feel emotionally numb at times, before and after my breakdown I would say I felt nothing for anyone or anything ,all I felt was fear and distress
  • Posted

You are still in very early stages of recovery, so yes, i think it would be normal at this stage
  • Posted

You say you experienced a 'virtual breakdown', by that I imaging you mean that you had a nervous breakdown.

If that is the case it could take quite a while before things settle-down emotinally for you.

Your boyfriend's reaction is understandable because our partners can never fully understand the depths to which which we sink when we go into meltdown.

I think a lot of the problem expressing our emotions when going through such a high state of anxiety, is that we are left emotionally bankrupt.

I would certainly not expect too much from yourself just yet, but it might be worth your while trying to explain to your boyfriend where this bleak journey has taken you, how you are coping and have coped with it, and seek his understanding.

If he is worth his salt then he will understand.

• Posted

Yes I have this, I think it is probablly a defensive mechanism to protect your vulnerabiiity and spread emotions out so that they don't overwhelm you.

Emotional flattening, anhedonia etc etc, it's annoying but also sort of useful.

Can also be a side effect of certain psychiatric medications.

• Posted

Hi I get this it's as if I'm dead inside then when my emotions kick back in I feel extreme guilt and cry and get into a state I also had a breakdown all I know is I hate the feeling x
  • Posted

Hi Catherine, please, please do not despair...you will feel much better I promise you...one of my son's had a massive breakdown five years ago

.he was so ill we truly thought that he would never recover.....

Happily. He is now back to his old self..it takes a while to feel well again...however, like any other major illness you have a long period of time to rest and refresh your mind and body, but it does happen....

You must give yourself a break, relax, sleep well..eat well...talk to your family and friends, they will give you space...

Don't give up, you will be well once more.....

I wish you good health and happiness...Take care. ( pamper yourself xx ) regards to you DEIRDRE xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.