no energy advice please

Posted , 4 users are following.

A few weeks ago my dr said i was low in ferritin so put me on iron liquid. Since then i have felt very unwell no appetite and extremely tired. Sore tongue lack of breath and dizzy. I have extremely heavy periods which i take mefanamic acid to make lighter it doesnt work properly. I am so tired i feel i cant move at all. I have also got the complication of having herniated discs in my neck so i am on lots of pain relief. But i can honestly say i have never felt so exhausted in all my life. I cant even cope with the thought of going to the drs. I can bearly make myself get up to go to the toilet. I have not eaten properly for a couple of weeks just cant even motivate myself to get up and i have no apetite anyway. I know this must all sound lame so sorry to sound so moany. Anyone got any advice that might lift this awful feeling. Is this normal for low ferritin and what can i do to get my zest back. I explained to my husband how i felt he just said rest. But i actually feel terrible just resting

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Low ferritin can make you feel dreadful. So bad it's hard to explain to people! Do you know how low it is? Mine was 16 (possibly lower at one point) and I felt so ill. Tiredness, dizziness, palpitations, heart racing, headaches, tingling parts of body fingers etc... X

• Posted

Hi i am not sure what it was the dr didnt say but it was 2 last time. I am in the uk i dont know what unit this is but i presume that was low i felt like collapsing but at least i could make it to the dr dont even feel like that this time. Thank you for your reply i really appreciate it. I will ask my dr next time i see him to find out how low it is.
    • Posted

2 is extreme low...you must feel terrible. My ferritin was going down fast (very heavy periods) so o think that didn't help! It went from 28 to 16 on about 6 weeks. I'm in the UK too. Hope you feel better soon x

• Posted

Hybrid ferritin was 11 and hgb was 8.3. I thought I would pass out several times. Even putting out a bit of washing made me so dizzy, I had no energy, Like you I have herniated discs, and gabapentin plus diazepam made the tiredness worse. Turned out I had gastric ulcers.

Iron tablets slowly got me back to normal.

Strangely enough, my husband has now been diagnosed with anaemia and is the same as you, totally wiped out 

Hopefully you'll feel better soon 

• Posted

Hi thanks for your reply Yes I am taking gabapentin and morphine and naproxen. Can i ask what are they doing about your herniation? Are you considering an op or are you having physio? How does the diazepam help?

My dr want to try to reduce my morphine but its so painful, does the diazepam help? By the way whats hybrid ferritin? Thank you again for your reply and sorry for all the questions its just such a conincidence that you have the same as me!

• Posted

Hybrid should have read my, predictive text!

It was naproxen that gave me the ulcers that made me so anaemic, even though I was taking loprazolam, a PPI. Can't take anti inflammatory drugs now.

Diazepam eases the muscle spasms in my back when it seizes up.

I already had surgery, years ago, it wasn't successful unfortunately. I am going for spinal injections tomorrow wish me luck!

• Posted

Hi there, I feel you totally, this is the 2nd time with iron deficiency and this is a lot worse, it got to the point the other day where I just wanted to go to sleep and not wake up, making me so depressed, bursting into tears, it's non-relenting. I also have neck issues and on strongest co-codamol but having to avoid as I can't keep awake as it is! I'm going to go to the docs after New Year if I feel the same as I hope to God I feel better than I do and the meds kick in. It's awful and I totally get what you are saying. I couldn't get off the settee for 2 hours just to get something to eat. I'm used to going out running, long walks, making proper meals. Rest as much as you can, I know it can make you feel worse but I've found overdoing stuff makes it even worse than resting. But go back to the docs if no improvement in New Year, as I will be doing, as I can't go on feeling so awful as well, it's not just a tiredness it's exhaustion and affecting quality of life. Take care and update the forum with your progress xxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.