No energy, no motivation

Posted , 12 users are following.

I'm 4 weeks into Sertraline 50mg for anxiety. Whilst my anxiety is fractionally better, I'm exhausted all the time, I have zero energy or motivation. This is unlike me even when I am anxious. I just want to sleep, I have no interest in anything and I just feel like it's a struggle to get through each day. Does this get better or do I need to cut my losses with Sertraline? Years ago I was on prozac and felt a noticeable improvement at four weeks.

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Sounds a bit like my experience ... exhausted and unmotivated.  All the doctor did was keep raising the dose  ... didn't work.  After reducing the dose and finally stopping altogether I am starting to feel more alive.

• Posted

Do you feel your original condition is manageable? I went on them because my anxiety was getting out of control but this is really no better. Can I ask how long you were on them and whether you had trouble withdrawing?
  • Posted

I was put on Zoloft to stabilize my mood, and counter depression.  It did stabilize the mood ... not so many ups and downs.  But it did set the level pretty low  ... so depression was still there.  I was on Zoloft for about 3 years during which time it was raised to 250mg.  I had a series of unrelated health and employment issues which should have had me taking action, but I just couldn't be bothered, and ended up with a sizable credit card debt.  This impacted my co-renting accommodation, and lost trust and credibility with housemate.  I should have been concerned, but everything seemed to be suppressed.  I was at this time I started to wean myself off.  It was a slow process and took several months, and patience with the withdrawal symptoms.  I was able to recognize the symptoms, and realize that they were only temporary.  It would have been easy to have interpreted the mental racing sensation as anxiety, but I was able deduce that it was just part of the withdrawal process  ... accepted it, and kept going.  I am convinced that coming off the sertraline was the best thing I could have done.  I also question whether it was the right medication in the first place.  

Everyone is different though, and my experience may not be typical.  I would advise anyone going onto Zoloft to have some idea of what they expect from the drug, and have an exit strategy for when it is no longer required.

All the best with your experience.

• Posted

Hi, it can make you more tired, but since your still on a relatively low dose  it's odd it's impacting you that much. It might be worth giving it a bit longer, but if you found Prozac worked fairly well in the past I'm surprised the doctor didn't try that first. Might be worth going back and talking to the doctor about how your feeling. Hope you get it sorted soon xx

• Posted

Thanks, I have been back to the doctor today and he said give it another week or so as it's still early days. He thinks the fatigue and lack of motivation is more to do with mental health than the medication but I'm not sure. He also said I could stop taking it and move straight over to prozac which sounds weird to me.

• Posted

I am not having that reaction- I am having heightened anxiety though, almost 3 weeks in.  I actually have no side effects other than that and a nasty headache everyday.  I am however, going to bed at 9 om which is super rare for me! I have been extremely reluctant to take any meds. I tried lexapro and was literally a zombie for three weeks and gained 15 pounds--- i waited but need desperately for something to take the edge off...i am banking on this-- but not sure i am even on the right dose at this point.  I am on 50mg.

I am hoping it gets much better, i am waiting for the "ah ha" moment everyone talks about!  Hope it works for you- there is so much to consider, do you need a higher dose, was your anxiety worse this time than it was when you started Prozac? 

• Posted

stay strong

I am 3 yrs on zoloft now

the first 6 weeks where the worst for me

heightened anxiety is a side affect , but you will get thru it.

you are more than halfway!!

sleep if you feel it takes the edge off. I did

drink lots of water to keep everything moving!!

remember to eat!!! my go to was honeydew melon bananas and hummus to keep energy up !

go for walks .. even short ones.

oddly i found humming calmed my mind

take care xo

you got this!!!!!

• Posted

I can relate to how you are feeling. I started Zoloft on July 10th. Started slow at 12.5 for a few days and worked my way up to 62.5 mg. Was on 50mg for the majority of the time I’ve been on it. But 62.5 seems to be just right for me and my anxiety. I too struggled with the no energy for the most part, especially about a month or so into it. But I can tell you it does get so much better. A lot of ppl on here have different times of when you hit that ah ha moment and honestly mine was right at the 12 week mark. I felt good at 8 weeks but still was struggling a little with some anxiety here and there, and my sleep I struggled with-wasn’t sleeping on my own til I got to 12 weeks. I will say also one thing that has helped with my energy and anxiety and sleep has been taking a magnesium supplement. It has been a godsend to me. I highly recommend you google magnesium supplements especially on amazon. If you need any information on what I use I will gladly help you. But for me, Zoloft has helped me, and I’ve never been on any medication my entire life til now and I’m 45. Let me know if you have any other questions. It is a long process but it is worth it
  • Posted

Thank you so much for all the replies. My doctor did say stick it out a bit longer and hopefully the fatigue will pass. I will give it until 6 weeks by which time I hope to notice some improvement even if it's not complete. I will definitely look into magnesium too as I have restless legs and I know it has helped in the past with that too.

• Posted

Did you get any better on sertraline? I'm supposed to start taking it but I've been putting it off!

• Posted

Hi Pamela,

I've been on it almost five weeks now and had a few better spells. Not whole days where I have felt normal but parts of days. I am hoping that this means things will improve for me. I've been incredibly tired in waves but I don't know how much of that is the drugs and how much is the cumulative effect of stress, anxiety and exhaustion. I'm giving it until six weeks to see how much better I am. I'm pleased to say that the horrendous side effects I had in the first couple of weeks seem mostly to have settled down now.

• Posted

Hi cattia, I'm at the exact stage as you are 50mg for weeks in and feel exactly the same just want to stay in bed and sleep all the time with sweats and headaches. Went doctors yesterday and told him I feel a physical wreck and he upped to 100mg so here's hoping

• Posted

Hi. I know this is 3 yrs late but I've only been on sertraline for just over a year now. I started at 50mg but my anxiety leads to aggressive behaviour. I now take 200mg daily, it was my request which the Doctor allowed. It has helped, my anger is literally gone. Sadly though I've gained weight and lost motivation to care or go anywhere basically. Not saying I don't go to the shops but I found myself going less and less distance wise to the stores. My sleep pattern is also messed up. Sometimes I can be awake for almost 2 days straight but when I do sleep it's always 8 to 12 hrs.

Trouble is this medication works, I've tried others in the past but it made my anger far worse. No one gets harmed as that's not me, I had a breakdown years ago due to being injured by a forklift at work. My life became somewhat different but as I got older I became more prone to hurt and I have no idea why. I also started becoming more anxious over the years. I used to drink so that didn't help.

All I shall say is if you found after a month or 2 that it still makes you fatigued then speak to your Doctor. Guessing by now you probably have. Hoping you're on the up.

• Posted

It is a old link. But I have this symptoms now 6-7 weeks. What happend with you? Some experiences to share. Thanks in advanced!!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.