No friends my age

Posted , 6 users are following.

I only have one close friend but we have kind of drifted apart. We're still close, but we don't see eachother much anymore. We are both 18 year old girls. I have a few friends but they are all younger than me (like 12-14.) Is this normal? I just feel like there is something wrong with me.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Luwest

As we get older age beomes less important  and many Middle Aged people have friends that may be  either five years older/younger than they are.

With teens however relationships can be problematic.  At eighteen girls  and boys are looking for girls and boys to form a different type of relationship. In the period of time of course your friends will be adults it is up to you all how you want the relationships will  develop  over time.

When I was in my twenties I went out with older women, one or two years older.At that time my friends thought it was noval, eventually I married younger although  as  time passed, age was not as important. Many of my older friends are now in their seventies.

It is all up to you.

BOB

• Posted

Luwest

Making friends at this age is hard. Im a 17 year old girl and i only have like a few friends. Not even close with most of them. Really, i only have one good friend and thats really all you need believe it or not. I was never one of the popular ones in MS. HS is okay for me and much better than middle school.. But try to hang in there.. The only people that matter in your life are the ones who stay. No matter how annoying you may be.. Or how many problems you have... The ones who stay with you through the all the thunderstorms are the precious people who you should keep in your life. There is nothing wrong with having friends that are younger than you.

• Posted

And the reply by borderriever is pretty much spot on !!!!
  • Posted

Honey,

age has no bearing on friendship.

We make an invisible connection with people not based upon age/gender/race

Some people we instinctively like

Others we don't

You have nothing to worry about

As we grow, through the teenage years, our horizons expand. Friendships sometimes endure, sometimes drift away as you said occured with your close friend

Do not worry. The years when we leave childhood behind whilst we grow into adults, is like shifting sands

Changes are natural

Hugs

• Posted

Hi Luwest.

I agree, what BOB said.

there is nothing wrong with you. when i was in high school, my first two years all my friends were older.  when they graduated and I had to make more friends so most were younger. Then in the working world all ages of friends happend. I had friends from 18 up to 80.  Age is just a number.  I am 57 now and have friends ranging from 3 to 70s.  It is healthy to have lots of friends of many different ages! Have fun with whomever you befriend and enjoy them for who they are, mostly enjoy YOU for who YOU are!   Try to relax and not worry, put a smile on your face and show the world all the love in your heart and people will be there for you. 

• Posted

I am exactly the same! I am 27 and my friends are about 40! I was bullied by people my age so I feel very nervous around them. I don't think it's very normal for me but then you are better to have friends than none at all. If they make you happy then don't worry!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.