No gallbladder but have burning pain !

Posted , 4 users are following.

Had gallbladder out over a year and a half. No problems . Then suddenly started with this terrible burning pain upper right abdominal area where my gallbladder was. Started to take Prilosec 20 mg twice a day . It only took the edge of the pain away. I didn’t have anything else, no nauseous, no diarrhea , no vomiting. Had ultrasound only showed fatty liver. Went to Doctor then was given protonix 40 mg took this 2x a day. This helped a little-then burning pain would start 2 hours after eating-instead of all day long. So I would take Gaviscon which would help. It’s been 5 weeks now and I am still with this burning pain . Then I bought some papaya enzymes . I would take them right after eating. To my surprise it would take the pain completely away till I would eat again. I have a gastro appt in 2 weeks. Does anybody know what this could be. It’s really frustrating me ! Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated . 

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Could be a complication of having your gallbladder removed.  Try a food diary to see what foods bring on symptoms.  Stick to a low fat diet and eat blandly avoiding anything rich or spicy.  Try eating little bur often 
  • Posted

Ask your doctor about cholestraymine you need a prescription and take a 50 billion probiotic.  I took Flora brand and in 1 week went away and has not come back..that was at Christmas....most doctors won’t suggest probiotic but I have told 3 other friends and they are all fine now..I had diarrhea also, started about 2 years after gullbladder removal....can eat anything now... good luck
    • Posted

Nancy thank you. Am desperate to try anything. This pain is driving me up the wall. Could you private message me with the exact probiotic that you take . Thank you 
    • Posted

Nancy , sorry , would carafate work just as good as Cholestyramine ? 
    • Posted

Not sure if that brand would work or not.   I did private message you, hope you got the message, not sure how I was to do it.   Let me know if you got it.
    • Posted

Nancy yes I did get your message , thank you so much . I went to gastro the other day , because I still have burning after I eat I was on protonix twice a day and then went down to once a day . I mentioned to her about the bile but she really didn’t think it was that. I also told her that when I take papaya enzymes that they help better than the gaviscon. But she is thinking on more that it could be hy pylori or a stone because of the intense pain. Anyway since I have to go out of town for a week she told me to keep taking the protonix once a day and take 1 Zantac at night but today I put a call in because the burning is getting worse to see if I can go back taking protonix twice a day or prescribed something else at least till I get back and have more tests. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.