No Gallbladder But Symptoms

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi,I had my gallbladder removed 5 weeks ago and I'm

still having symptoms.I'm being sick , loose bowels , pain in upper back , pain where gallbladder was .I'm on a very restricted bland diet and only

eating very small meals . Anyone else the same ?

I feel very depressed by it all . Does it get better or is this it for ever now.

0 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

• Posted

Most cases get better, only a small percentage sometimes get medication or further tests.   Keep food bland until it stops is my only advice.

good luck

• Posted

I'm so sorry...  did  you have breathing problems before the surgery ?  And yes I understand the depression

• Posted

Hi No I didn't have any problems with my breathing .

Is it something I need to see my GP about ?

• Posted

My husband had surgery to remove his gallbladder two weeks ago. For the past two nights, he has had the same pain in the same area he was feeling it before his gallbladder was removed. Can't figure out if this is normal or what, but I'm very concerned and overwhelmed. I don't understand why he's having gallbladder pains with no gallbladder?

• Posted

Same here ! I thought once gallbladder was removed these pains

would be gone . Not so in my case , the pain in my upper back is horrible.

Then there's the being sick !What's going on ? It is worrying and frightening.

I have some upper chest / side pain too .

• Posted

I wish this could be taken more interest in by the docs.  

I was ok after surgery but the pain in back, nausea and loose motions are worse now after two years.

i think i need more tests to see what is going on, dr is very slow to react.

• Posted

I saw a GP today about the pain, sickness and diarhea.

It was a trainee GP with the head Dr in with them . Dr said they didn't know

what was causing my symptoms and I was told to wait and see what happens.

Also told it might not have been my gallbladder causing the problem in the first place !!! When I came out I stood outside the door and both doctors started

laughing !!I don't feel like laughing , I can't eat and I'm in pain and feel sick !

I wish they'd got what I have , they wouldn't be laughing then .!!I feel so angry

to be treated (Not in this case ) like that .

• Posted

How awful to be treated like that.  I think i woul see someone else next time.  Its such a horrible illness and i am quite down and anxious about it now too.

my dr said we could maybe keep an eye on it then if no better after xmas then an ultrasound, shes not rushing.  Meanwhile i feel awful and each day is a struggle. 

I was also told it might not have been gallbladder in first placem it could have settled in time as i wasnt aware ti try low-fat diet at that point.

anyway too late now and crying over spilt milk no good.

i wish these drs had to have these symptoms and they would soon know.

best wishes you feel a little better  

• Posted

I have read on here that apple cider vinegar from Holland and Barrett diluted with warm apple juice does help but i am not sure if thats pre or post surgery.  I havent tried it as i have enough trouble with bland food.
  • Posted

Hi Linda, its only 5 weeks and you've had major surgery, it'll take alot longer for your insides to heal. Your body needs to learn how to cope without your gallbladder and depending on what issues you had before those may carry on afterwards initially. I expect your intestines have become sensitive as bile is now dripping continuously down into your intestines. Also remember what has been inside your abdo, you've been inflated and 4 trocars have been put in to you and they've been moved around so the surgeon can do his job. I know someone and it took her 3 months before she started to feel better, unfortunately I've had other issues since but I can pretty much eat what I like now.

Your doctor should be able to help you with the sickness and loose bowels.

Give it time Linda and you'll get there unfortunately we all want to be up and rushing around within a few days but that doesn't happen in reality.

If you have any worries then you must go back to your doctor.

Take care 

• Posted

Meantime having all this nausea and loose bowels, can you or anyone else tell me what i can eat - dr said bland and i am only managing rice krispies no milk for breakfast and lunch, and boiled rice or mashed potato at night.   Its no way to live.  Just feel ill all the time.
    • Posted

did they give you any bile absorption tablet or powder. I had 6 months of diarahea and after taking colestopol, the 6th day it stopped and cramps also reduced. Avoid eating protein/fat/oil  or veggies for some time. try this and it really works. Get some rice and boil in cooker for 2 to 3 whistle. eat some rice and rest of the rice , pour some water until it get submerged. Keep over night outside and next day, eat the rice along with the water. This will reduce your cramps and will give good gut bacteria. Try this for a week and see how do you feel . sometimes you can mix this with home made yogurt (dont buy from shop it has lot of sugar) and have it.
    • Posted

Hi Katherine, I know it's early days and I can accept that .

The thing that bothers me is yesterday was the first time after removal

that I've been sick . I'm only eating sweet potato mash every day and a little chicken once or twice a week , I eat crackers every day . I'm so tired through lack of food and I'm

now malnourished but I can't eat as I have other issues that causes me pain with

food. This isn't a life and the medical profession don't care .

• Posted

Hi Linda, what are you like with fish, I found plainly cooked fish was easy to eat and a little rice or pasta. Keep your portions small if you're not already and eat more frequently. 

My food was also pretty plain for a few months but I can pretty much eat what I like now but I am very cautious of high fat and spicy food.

I ate alot of plain biscuits throughout the day as they're what got me through straight after surgery. It took me months before I started to put on some of the weight that I lost, I did go and see my gp but she wasn't worried and said it takes time, I've now put on a bit but not alot.

Can you get a private appointment with a gastro, I did that 2 months later as I was still in similar pain as before as they always said not all my pain was to do with my gallbladder and he was very understanding and gave me the time that I needed. I've  got problems with nerve entrapment that is life-changing but I can only hope that one day I'll be back as I was.

• Posted

Hi Katherine, I do have a little plain cod now and then . I find it very dry

and don't really like the taste but I eat it . I've never tried other fish except

for skippers and haddock , both made me ill for some reason, I think the skippers

we're too greasy . I can't have soup , salad , no dairy , the list is endless due to

other issues . Sorry you have got nerve entrapment , must be painful.

Hope you find something to ease the pain soon .

• Posted

Try some plaice or sea bream, they are both really light and not such meaty fish as the others, light and flacky. Can you have risotto with some fish?

Yes it isn't great, already had one lot of nerve block back in July and it only lasted a few weeks before the pain was the same as before and now its worse so just waiting for another appointment for January. I take a cocktail of various meds to try and help but they only really take the edge off. The pain is very much the same as I was having with my gallbladder.

They though I might have sphincter of oddi dysfunction initially but its more likely this so they'll try the nerve block again and then I don't know. 

Its difficult I know if you have to contend with other things I'm just hoping that 2018 will be a turning point!

Let me know how things go.

• Posted

I will try the plaice, never had risotto , will look into it , thanks for the ideas.

Good luck with the nerve block , let me know how it goes .

• Posted

If you can eat it, then at least you've got some substance to help your body then you could add other things that you know you can eat.

Yes just waiting for a date now, fingers crossed its not too late in January.

Take care xx

• Posted

Yes i am eating boiled rice but still got pain in back after eating. The diarrhoea isnt there just now. Some say apple sauce is good to try. Not sure but may see if i can find it in supermarket.  Pain in back is the worst, mainly after eating rice.  Dr has given me omeprazole to see if it will help.  Feel a bit woozy after taking first one.  No christmas dinner for me this year.  Also ritz crackers recommended by others.  Trial and error, though i think they may be a bit greasy.

i dont see many others with back pain, usually its at front.  Am i missing something?

• Posted

Hi, I too have upper back pain , very uncomfortable, don't know how

to ease it . I can't have Ritz crackers , too salty . I found Rankutsen Matzo

crackers which I can eat , I get mine from Waitrose but other supermarkets

sell them , very plain .No Christmas dinner for me either this year,

very depressing as I love my food .

Hope we both start to feel better soon.

• Posted

No, gp,just gave me omeprazole and sent me on my way.  I am not sure if the back pain to which i have now a cough and chills with temp in night might be a chest infection,i am worried because i had pe few years ago.  Too many things wrong.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.