No heel pain in the morning

Posted , 3 users are following.

About 4 months ago I started noticing my both of my feet felt very fatigued after a short walk and when I put my feet up to rest, the lower back side of my heels (below my achilles just before it turns to the underside of my foot) felt slightly irritated. The fatigue in my feet would come and go then about 6 weeks ago I started feeling pain/discomfort in the bottom of my feet (in the heel area). The pain has never been worse in the morning. It gets worse the more I'm on my feet (especially standing or slow walking like when shopping). I have extremely high arches and the doctor thinks I am experiencing pain because of the anatomy of my feet (a lot of concentrated force on the heels). 

Let me rewind a bit. Because of my very high arches I have been fearful of developing foot problems, especially PF. As a result, in March of this year I started doing calf stretches in the morning. About 30 minutes to an hour after waking up I would stand on a stair and really stretch out my calves (3 sets of 20 seconds for both legs). It was about 6-7 weeks later that at the same time I started noticing the pain in both of my heels.

About 3 weeks ago I got custom orthotics and shoes with excellent cushioning for the heels. About 10 days ago I stopped stretching thinking I may have actually injured myself because of overstretching.

I have no pain when pressing on my heels or achilles or anywhere under my feet, just an inflammed irritated feeling when I walk. Other than a few steps here and there I don't walk barefoot and haven't for the past couple of years (broke and ankle two years ago and hard surfaces really aggrivated things after getting out of the cast). Any thoughts? 

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I'm not a doctor so not in the business of diagnostics but I was diagnosed with PF years ago only to be told recently that it was not PF but an issue with the hallus longus muscle and tendon (and another similar one) under the calf muscles, running down around the heel and along the sole of the feet.

I never had teh morning pain the PF is supposed to cause.

I have a similar issue w.r.t. short walking and stop starting (shopping).

I've always felt stretching makes it worse.

Sounds like you need correct diagnosis!!!

• Posted

Thanks for the input. I looked up the hallucis longus muscle and tendon and possible injuries but it doesn't seem to fit my symptoms. I'll keep researching. Thanks again.
  • Posted

Other things you might consider ......

I have high arches and this is the reason the hallus longus is a problem  ......

the result is "flatfoot deformity stage II" .

This results in pains in the heels, arches, just below ankles and maybe the cause of what I always thought were shin splints.

walking barefoot is a no-go ..... without my orthotics I am immobile at this stage.

My consultant says there are only 3 things holding the feet together ...

Ligaments, tendons & PF. Unless you have injured the bones in some way then its one of those 3!

• Posted

My advice is keep reading and comparing all of our stories and everywhere bc the range of issues is broader than just PF...could be several other things. And to be sure you need an MRI done by a Podiatrist that cares. There is alot of misdiagnosis that happens. I also have been told by a podiatrist who did not care...that I have PF but she didn't even do an MRI and my pain is like yours...not worse in the morning...it gets worse thru the day. So I feel like she was just guessing bc she didn't even get into my symptoms with me. She didn't seem to care. Everyone is in different stages and levels of pain too. Mine is unbearable and have had it 11 months now. Sometimes I'm bedridden with it. Can't bear weight on it at all. Had to buy a mobility scooter in fact. You get the picture I'm sure....just keep researching and praying. I think God is the only one who can truly heal me. 1 tip is....I wouldn't go for the steroid shots if I were you. Very poor feedback and success rate is low so why do that? You are in my prayers.....
    • Posted

Thank you for your feedback. Very sorry to hear about your ordeal. I did have an MRI recently but it didn't show anything significant other than some wear and tear on the tendons on the side of my feet (doc said my high arches are to blame). I agree, finding a doctor who cares is key. I don't feel that with him. He suggested a cortisone shot but I'm very reluctant to get that because, as you said, poor feedback and low success rate.

I wish you nothing but the best.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.