No help available??

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi,

I'm after a bit of advice, I've been addicted to opiates for over 7 years and after a huge deterioration in my health and 2 hospital stays I've tried to seek help, first from my doctor who referred me to the local drug and alcohol team. I've just been to my 2nd appointment today to be told there is nothing that they can do to help me as my 'addiction ' is not bad enough and anything they could prescribed or help me with would be a step back in my addiction. Bearing in mind I take roughly 30x 30mg of codeine, plus various over the counter medication containing codeine per day. If I could stop I would Do, I've just been pinning so much on getting help from this place and feel so down as I really felt like this was my last hope. I'm not sure what I'm asking for really, just if anyone has been in a similar situation and has managed to beat this addiction? Cold turkey is not an option as I have a young family to care for and I've tried tapering so many times without success. Thankyou for reading anyway x

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi, I’ve had a very similar story. I’ve posted on here a few times about what I’ve done and so on. I can’t log on here much lately as I have no internet signal at work but if you want help I’d like to offer it. I will get on here and talk when I can, what is it you need advice on? I have been through this before and I would like to do what I can. 
  • Posted

Hi Neil2701,

Thanks for your reply, I'm not really sure what advice I need really except for how did you manage to get off opiates? I've decided I am going to try and taper although I've tried so many times but as soon as I have a day when I don't feel so good I go back to a high dose which is quite often as I have made myself really ill with all the codeine containing products I have taken. I've recently needed 3 blood transfusions and am currently having fortnightly small operations on my stomach due to damage caused again by the tablets I take and yet I still carry on doing it. I'm 38 with 3 young children and feel about 90. Are you totally off opioids now Neil and how did you manage to do it? Xx

• Posted

I got to a point where I just had to stop, it seems like you’re at that point yourself now. I took time off work, tapered down and then forced myself to stop. It’s not easy at all, the worst thing is sleep, restless legs mean you can’t stop moving. Take magnesium for that, half hour before bed. Don’t know how it works but it stops the restless legs. It’s gonna be harder for you with the children being around but it’s just sheer willpower. You’ll be snappy and irritable but I promise on the 4th day of stopping it’ll seem so much better. It’s just getting to that point. My number is 07592516821 if you want to keep talking as I’m about to be in the area where I have no signal. I’m more than happy to help. 😀

• Posted

Thanks Neil,

I'm just on my way out for the day but I am going to try and taper as much as I can just until the kids go back to school and over Christmas then do it when they go back, which gives me 2 weeks to try and get as low as I can, then go for it. Like you've said I have to, I've wasted 7 years of my life. How long did you taper for and how much were you on when you finally went for it if you don't mind me asking? Xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.