No help from meds

Posted , 2 users are following.

Don't understand why OTC meds aren't helping my headaches

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

They wouldn't touch mine either. Only stuff that worked was Oromorph given to me in hospital.

Ive always had migraines but I knew these were different---trouble is once drs established I turns gave meningitis or was having a stroke they just shrugged their shoulders and lost interest.

lots of GPs prescribe Amitrypltilene to prevent headaches---mine did--but I didn't want to just take tablets. 

I know my migraines are caused by different foods so I eat a very restricted diet.

foubd the new headaches were caused by a neck injury ( very minor, strain caused by using a piece of heavy machinery sanding floors!) this compressed nerves and blood vessels giving me worst headaches in my life.

chiropractor has righted the neck, almost. I use ice packs a couple of times a day.

no headaches, and no meds for 2 months.

first check--are they migraines? If yes look at triggers, food, drinks, are most common.

if not migraines, are your teeth ok? Worth a check.

eye test--worth checking.

no one else in your family gets same headaches? As I have a motorhome we're always aware of CO2 poisoning.

try checking the above. You will find a solution but it can take time.

• Posted

Hollyberry

Interesting suggestions there.  I wanna try the food I eat.  Any suggestions where to start.  Milk products for example?

• Posted

My first cause of migraines was coffee--weirdly it was instant coffee and I could still drink ground coffee. My GP at the time thought it was a missing enzyme that didn't break down something. Over the tears more things have affected me. So far things I know are: coffee ( all types) chocolate ( all types) 

alcohol, citrus juice, most citrus fruits, all spices ( turmeric, garam masala and chilli are the worst but i can't eat anything with a spicy coating or a curry) latest things I've found are ginger and dried pineapple ---1/4 inch piece of dried pineapple put me in bed for nearly 2 days. 

Start with coffee, spices and chocolate. You can then try a small amount of one see if it affects you. 

It takes time to test food reactions. I'd suggest you eat a bland diet for 2 weeks---rice, potatoes, steamed veg,chicken, fish ( take a vitamin C tablet daily) Drink only water.  if no headaches try adding in one item ---headache means avoid that food. 

Good luck. 

• Posted

Forgot to say, drinks like Cola can cause headaches. Also if you take too many painkillers over a long period of time you can get a rebound headache so check those too.
    • Posted

Thank you Hollyberry. 

Fortunately, I am not a coffee drinker or chocolate person although being Xmas, I have had my share from the tin of Celebrations! No eating satsumas and clementines will be hard for me.  As from today, I am changing from cow's milk to soya milk too.  

A cold water flannel placed on my head and at the back of the neck seems to be helping. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.