No idea what is going on now - sore throat, cold sweats???

Posted , 7 users are following.

So diagnosed in feb as sero neg RA. I'm on mtx, prednisone, f o.

Went on tramadol from codeine around march 30th for awful hip pain.

I've not taken any tramadol for 2 days now. On april 8th i had steroid injections

to both hip joints. I was in agony after so was taking around 6 50mg tramadol

tablets for a few days. The hip pain has settled enough to not need

painkillers but I'm facing new strange symptoms and to be honest I'm

sick of calling the doctors!!!!! Starting around 1st april i was having night

sweats which have no progressed to lasting nearly all night. As soon

as i chuck the duvet off I'm a shivering wreck, i put it back on and within

minutes I'm sweating like crazy. I've also got a sore throat and tongue

and for a day or two these clammy cold sweats crept into the day too.

Today I'm freezing cold all over, absolutely exhausted from lack of sleep

with a cheesed off husband sick of my complaining!!!!!

After being warned about tramadol being taking it from lots of people my first

thoughts were that was the cause but can you have withdrawal probs

after just a couple of weeks???? Forget to mention that i also have

underactive thyroid so 90% of the time I'm cold. It's saturday so no docs

till monday and i just really dont know what to do with myself!!!! Any

advice gratefully received. Many thanks

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Trauma doll is a very good medicine but if you take it for any length of time ans stop you can have flu like symptoms. Taking 1 or 2 a day should alleviate your problem
  • Posted

These are typical symptoms of most autoimmune disorders - but also of infection. You are on immunosuppressants (pred and mtx) so it is quite possible that you have picked up an infection your body cannot fight properly. In that case you need medical attention.

https://patient.info/medicine/methotrexate-maxtrex-metoject

The sore throat and the chills are listed as something to tell the doctor about immediately - there are far more details on others sites I can't give you the direct link for. The sweats and chills are typical of a developing high temperature.

My advice would be to go to A&E/ER as soon as you can, at the very least to call 111 (in the UK) and ask to speak to an out of hours doctor and explain your medical history and symptoms.

Your GP may not be there over the weekend but the OOH doctors are, they always have been. Are you in the UK? Jeremy Hunt may give you the impression that the NHS doesn't work at weekends - he may not as Minister of Health, but hospitals are fully staffed for emergencies 24/7, always have been, although his antics are making it increasingly difficult to find staff.

However - what you describe makes me quite concerned and I would like to think you will seek medical attention this evening. 

• Posted

Spot on! ( as usual)

.......with concerns for both infection and the NHS ! 

• Posted

Your symptoms sound as if you could be coming down with an infection and as you are on methotrexate I would suggest you atleast phone 111 (if you are in U.K.) and see what they advise. (Make sure they know you are on immunosuppressive medication ).Good luck and hope you feel well soon
  • Posted

Thank you for all the advice!!!! I've called 111 and now awaiting a call back for an appointment. As luck would have it they are extremely busy today!!!!

Not keen on taking any more tramadol as i dont want it back in my system if not needed. Love this forum and advice given as most the time i feel like a hypochondriac

Doubt I'll be seen this evening but at least I'm in the running for an appointment.

• Posted

Completely fuming!!!!!!!

Just had callback from 111 and regardless of my meds or the RA they say prob just a virus!!!! Apparently I'm to keep on with paracetamol and contact them if any worse or see a doc on monday!!!!

This is what makes me feel like a hypochondriac. sad

• Posted

Then if it doesn't improve, go to A&E, with someone to back you up. I did hesitate about suggesting 111 - it has serious limitations - but they're claiming it is improving. Apparently not. 

However - if you get any worse than you are at present, please call 999. Not 111. People with an infection on immunosuppressants can all too easily develop sepsis - 

• Posted

Hi Gemma

I know how you feel . I was in agony the other day and after taking several doses of co coda mol throughout the day I called out of hrs. After waiting ages for a call back I was told nothing could be done by the GP and I would need toake my own way to A&E even though I had stayed that I couldn't walk with the pain at the time. I have not been afficially diagnosed yet have an appointment with the Rhuematolagist next week having been unwell and typical RA symptoms for a while now. Hope you feel better and get some answers soon Maureen

• Posted

Not feeling any better today but now have aches to go wuth the chills and fever. Decided this morning that I'd wait and see my doctor tomoz as didn't want to spend all day on the phone to be turned away again.
    • Posted

It's awful really, we are very lucky to have the nhs but it has some shocking flaws!!!! Hope u get ur diagnosis soon and get on the way to feeling better!! I'm still waiting for that bit to happen!!!
  • Posted

So saw a doctor this morning who sent me off straught off to the hosp for loads of bloods to be done.

He is obviously concerned about the mtx and told me not to take my normal dose today. Now waiting

for results. What happens now if its due to the mtx? Gp wouldn't comment annoyingly!!! Just like to know

my options and what else,is in store for me!!!! I guess a magic wand won't be appearing though!!??

Would be amazing to have an RA free couple of days though!!!

• Posted

Which is what I thought needed looking at. If this turns out to be the case do put in a complaint about the 111 advice.
    • Posted

I informed the doctor of how 111 decided i didn't need an appointment!!!

Any ideas of what happens now? (If it's mtx related)

• Posted

Other than stop mtx I don't really know - depends why you are on it in the first place. There are other drugs and for RA it is the first line substance usually. If the patient "fails" one drug, they move on to the next - and "fail" covers all aspects, whether you have unpleasant side effects you can't tolerate or the mtx doesn't work to minimise your RA symptoms. 

It will also depend on the blood test results.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.