No improvement on Escitalopram for 40 days

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hey guys, I've been on escitalopram for 40 days now (5mg for 7 days, 10mg for 32 days) for panic and anxiety. At the beginning I used Klonopin for the side effects and I felt good, but now that I've stopped taking Klonopin I feel anxious every morning, I'm getting panic attacks often, I can't sleep well and my stomach is a mess (a month and counting with diarrhea and nausea every morning).

I'm scared that this pill will never work for me, I feel worse than before starting it and I'm already 5 weeks in. Did anyone else take this long to notice a positive difference? I already tried Zoloft and my doctor asked me to change because the side effects were too strong. Will I have to change again? Or do you guys think I'll have to up the dose? I just want to feel like myself again and notice some improvement.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Andrea

I've been experienced on these meds a lot of years. Not constantly of course. This is the problem with these pills.

You have to take them at least one year constantly. In the meanwhile you have to solve the cause that creates your problem, phobias and anxiety. If you feel well with the pills but you have not solve your anxiety with psychotherapy, after a while about 3-4 months your anxiety became bigger and you have relapse. You have to know all these and of course you may know.

Conserining the dose that you take now, 10mg is not a therapeytic treatments. This is just a maintenance later after the main treatment.

If you have a big anxiety you should reach up to 20mg at least and stay there minimum 6months and more (depending from the case).

How long did you take klonopin? You should know that the worst side effects, you feel from 10 to 15 and 20. So you have to ask your doctor that maybe is good for you to keep taking a bit of Klonopin up to feel calm from escitalopram. So for my opinion it is wrong you stopped Klonopin (even a little bit of it) because you still face the side effects of escitalopram and you do not raise the dose..

In the past, I had been taking tranxene (like klonopin) a very small dose us to reach the 20mg of escitalopram. 

And I felt the calmness you need after 3 months from the day I started escitalopram..

So discuss with your doctor, you have to definetely raised the dose to 15mg and keep taking in the morning a bit of Klonopin, so you're not feel anxious at all and stay at 15mg other 3 weeks before you may raise to 20.

You see...that you feel much better in the future and you forget your anxiety, but you have to be patient!

Good luck and do not afraid....all will be a past in the near future!

• Posted

Andrea,

In my opinion, you are on the right medication, especially for anxiety/panic. I would go back on the klonopin, you’re clearly still experiencing side effects. If it were me, I would stay on 10mg until the side effects really lessened. Once that happens, and it will, I’d consider going to 20, if my anxiety was still a problem. You may do very well on 10mg. I think 32 days on 10 is still not long enough, I know, hard to believe. Stuck with it and you will feel better.

• Posted

Thank you for your answer Dave. Could I really still be having side effects a month on?! From all I've read online it seems like side effects last two weeks maximum. I'm also scared about getting addicted to Klonopin, don't you think that could be an issue?

• Posted

Hi Andrea!

?I'm on Day 26 on 10 mg, and still experiencing side effects, plus still having some anxiety. I do think these meds can take a while sometimes to start working, and for side effects to dissipate. I would give it 8 weeks, and, if possible, 12 weeks before increasing the dose.

• Posted

Hey Andrea, I wish you are feeling better now, can you please update me on your progress since I am in the same situation and waiting lexapro to kick in?

• Posted

Hi Rattahk, you should be patient too. These médecins need at least 3 months for anxiety ( I mean they are more effective to dipression in a sooner while)... in the meanwhile you contact with your doctor in order to take a bit of benzo.. to deal with side effects... good luck!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.