No infection for 10 months then i get one

Posted , 4 users are following.

Had hysto August 2017. Developed Vaginal atrophy.  Had continuous utis.  Started premarin 3 x week.  Utis stopped.  Had 4 Mona Lisa treatments for VA.  Still have dryness.  Dr took me off premarin.  Put me on hylauronic acid suppositories for dryness.  Still have dryness and now have e coli uti.  I take every precaution possible so i dont get one.  Dont have sex anymore.  Cant figure this out except think i need to go back on hormones.  Also i get no symptoms for uti. Paranoid and get tested every month when i go to VA doctor. Anyone have any ideas

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Did you find the ecoli uti in your monthly check up?  Was it <100,000 cfu?  My understanding is that if you are asymptomatic, doctors shouldn't treat with antibiotics.  What does your doctor say?

I'm menopausal for many years.  I started estrogen cream a couple years ago (estrace 3x/week).  That was my solution to UTI.  I'm 1 year+ w/o one.  However, I do not get check and no longer even dipstick myself.  Frankly, I just don't want to know.  If I have no symptoms, then I'll live with it if it's in my bladder.

During my constant UTI's I was wanting antibiotics,  Now, I finally realize how dangerous it can be to overuse them.

• Posted

Hi. Yes it was during my monthly checkup.  I’ll go see him wed and ask him questions. I’m on macrobid.  I was so shocked I didn’t ask anything.  Disgusted by the whole thing.  I’ll ask him the # on Wed.  Glad u are doing well.  I may ask him to try the estrace.
    • Posted

Hi marilee,

I've been asymptomatic for couple of years and no longer take antibiotics regardless of the amount of e.coli in my bladder. Had a heck of a job getting my docs to give me a definitive answer as to whether it was best not to take antibiotics with no symptoms. I eventually got the nod off one urologist that I saw by mistake about 2 years ago and have only taken antibiotics once during that time, and that was just to cover me for bladder surgery.  Even if that urologist had not given me the ok I had already made up my mind not to take any more antibiotics for a supposed UTI. 

My e. coli bug has become resistant to all of the common antibiotics. What both surprised and alarmed me was how fast it became resistant to each antibiotic.  :-(

• Posted

I have a history of uti starting at age 21 with marriage and active sex life.  I got a lot better after getting urethra dilation as it was so bad I couldn’t empty anymore.

Then with age hysterectomy and menopause set in along with chronic uti for a year and antibiotics that eventually didn’t work.

Now I use Estrace 2x a week and probiotics.  I’ve been good for over four months but if I forget estrace, uti feelings come on.  I believe it’s a lot due to hormonal now.  But At age 21, it was sex.  Life as a female ...

Try to find whatever works and be consistent .  I also take vitamins and dmannose.

• Posted

I have been exactly the same and don’t have sex anymore 

Uti have ruined my life constant antibiotics and immune to most now

I will say d mannose works I take 3 a day now morn lunch and 1 before bed and this definitely reduce the amount of times you have to take antibiotics 

I feel your pain🙈

My doctor won’t give me antibiotics now until sample sent away and the right antibiotic given by this time I am peeing blood and in A&E

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.