No longer able to claim JSA and receive NI credits...?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I was claiming JSA on and off throughout 2018 and during the periods I was claiming I was only eligible for NI credits.

At the end of December last year I made a new claim (rapid reclaim) for JSA. however, I have now been told that the claim cannot be accepted and a claim for Universal Credit must be made. I have savings in excess of 16K so I am not eligible to make a UC claim. Is there anyway that I can get around this and somehow get my NI credits while I am unemployed and looking for work.

Having paid 24 years of NI contributions while working it seems a bit unfair that I am denied NI credits while I find myself unemployed.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

  • Posted

    I paid for 35 yrs mark they dont care all i did was buy a car to get my savings down

    • Posted

      Unfortunately, paying your NI contributions for all those years doesn't help a claim for benefits because it's the previous 2 tax years they look at. I'm not sure what savings has to do with this.

    • Posted

      I think @ginger262 was highlighting the point that if you have savings in excess of £16K you are not eligible to claim Universal Credit.

    • Posted

      Whats the point off paying your stamp if its last 2 yrs so the 35 yrs i have paid is all for nothing the dwp is one big rip off and do nothing to help you just make it difficult for you been fighting for the last 2 yrs been to tribunal 3 times so i have just said dont bother me any more get on with your immigrants

    • Posted

      The whole point is, that if you don't pay them then you won't receive your state pension, so it's not all for nothing. Unless of course you don't want to receive your pension in the future.

      Those coming from abroad are unable to claim benefits. Even those that are British have to satisfy the habitual resident test after they've lived abroad for a certain length of time.

  • Posted


    You'll be able to claim New style JSA for your NI credits.

    • Posted

      Hello Denise.....

      When I went to sign-on I was told that the Jobcentre was now a full UC service area and that they would not be able to issue New Style JSA. I was told the only benefit available was UC and I would not be eligble to claim that as I had savings in excess of 16K.

      I have had a number of run-ins with members of staff at my local Jobcentre and have made a number of complaints against them in the past regarding the way I have been treated and their attempts to deny me access to NI credits while I have been unemployed and looking for work.

      I have since found the following post on another forum which is useful. I have followed advice and now have another appointment for National Insurance credits only:

      You may wish to read this (freedom of information request to the DWP) and follow the advice in their response.

      Please could you provide the regulations and/or guidance that describe the process for making a "credits only" claim for Universal Credit, when someone in a Full service UC area doesn't meet the NI contributions conditions for new style ESA or JSA, but also has too much income/savings for Universal Credit.

      DWP response

      We do not have internal guidance but the process is as follows.

      A customer can contact the main claim line number (0800 055 6688) or call into their local Jobcentre explaining they want to claim National Insurance (NI) credits only as they are unemployed but do not want or can not receive Universal Credit and or new style JSA.

      The telephony agent or Jobcentre member of staff will take down the basic contact details, arrange an interview at the claimants local Jobcentre and send them or give them a JSANC1 form to complete and bring to the interview.

      DWP Central Freedom of Information Team


      Our Ref: FoI 2158

      DATE:15th June 2017

      The Work Coach will assess their entitlement to an NI credit, based upon the evidence in the form, inform them of what they need to do or keep on doing, and set them a fortnightly day of attendance. When they must show their continuing entitlement based upon meeting the requirements of The Social Security (Credits) Regulations, regulation 8A(2)(ba), which are that they meet the requirements of sections: 1(2)(e) to (h) and section 6D and 6E of the Jobseeker’s Act 1995.

      If they do so, each week (NI credit weeks run Sunday to Saturday) DWP will inform HMRC that they have done so and HMRC will give them a class 1 NI credit by adding it to their National Insurance record. This is done electronically through the e-NIRS2 browser between DWP and HMRC or can be done clerically on an appropriate form, if it is not possible to do so through the browser.

      The relevant regulations are The Social Security (Credits) Regulations 1975 (S.I. 1975/556), regulation 8A(2)(ba) – credits for unemployment, which is in the public domain and can be found at:, specifically: The Jobseekers Act 1995, section 1(2), can be found at:, specifically the revised version 30/11/2014:

    • Posted

      Never trust JCP or DWP for advice. Glad you got it sorted. I'd put in a complaint about the person you spoke to at your local JC.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.