No matter what I do, I'm always hungry!

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hello,

I am 18 and I get hungry nearly within 1 hour of eating, all the time. I eat lots of high protein food, and I believe I eat healthy. For example, I eat oatmeal with fruits and boiled egg for breakfast, protein bar for snack, and a whole grain sandwich for lunch, fruits or nuts for snack, and brown rice with some beef or chicken for dinner. I eat ~1700 calories a day and I get regular light exercise. 

I eat a lot but my stomach growls all the time. It's super embarrassing because it always growls in class and I get insanely hungry although i had eaten just 2 hours before. I also gain weight easily so I try not to eat whenever I'm hungry (because it's nearly all the time). This makes me miserable. I was on a diet a few months ago and it was very painful but I lost a few pounds but gained them all back and more when I went back to eating 1700 cal from 1300 cal. 

This makes me so frustrated! People have told me to drink more water but I drink 2 bottles in the morning and 2-3 more throughout the day. I've tried everything.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hello Returnoftherain,

What springs to mind in the first place is you need to have a thyroid blood test,

In case you have hypothyroidism.

As I see you do everything inspite of that your insatiated temptation to eat , even makes me hungrywink

• Posted

I've had a thyroid test (for panic attacks) and they said I'm in the clear. They said my blood tests for everything is great..that I couldn't be healthier. 

• Posted

Maybe get tested for diabetes . Are you very thirsty? Peeing a lot? (sorry!). When you're diabetic you are hungry all the time .  That's what happened to me . I got diagnosed with Diabetes about  18 months ago.  The glucose fasting test is the best test to detect diabetes.   Also I have been diagnosed with Celiacs and no wheat makes me hungry a lot of the time . Do you eat wheat? 

• Posted

Hm..that could be a possibility because my mom and grandparents have diabetes. But I've had so many blood tests and they all said I couldn't be healthier - if I have diabetes, wouldn't some of my tests be abnormal?

• Posted

When they do blood tests the doctors ask for specific illness to be tested for .  So they would not know if you had diabetes.  The diabetes test is very specific.   As I mentioned the main test is the 'fasting test' .  It's when you don't eat for a number of hours and go to the hospital and then they test your blood to ascertain your glucose levels.  

It's worth telling your doctor that your mum and grandparents have diabetes. And insist that you have the test .  You might not have diabetes but at least it rules out the possibility.  Diabetes runs in my family too. My sister kept on saying to me that she thought I had diabetes. I eventually went to the doctor .  I insisted that I have a glucose fasting test .  I had the test and viola , it was discovered that I had diabetes! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.