No more co codamol!

Posted , 4 users are following.

I was prescription co codamol 30/500 by the doctor in A&E when I developed a lung infection. I took them like he said 4 times a day. I only did this for the 1st week anr then cut them down to twice a day. I've only took them for 2 weeks but I realised I was getting dependent on them. I felt better after the tablets but within 4 hours felt terrible again. I threw them all away and haven't taken any for 2 days. My god I feel worse now than what I did when I had the lung infection!! No energy, night sweats are terrible, trouble sleeping, headache, body aches, low mood and now the runs! I just want to feel normal again. I can't believe I feel like this by just taking them for 2 weeks when I know a lot of people have had them for years. I am so annoyed that the doctor just dished them out with no warnings whatsoever! Please cwn anyone tell me how long these symptoms will last for?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Well done susan for realising that these horrible tablets were taking a hold and throwing them away.

I would get back in touch with your doctor to get something else.

These tablets do take hold very quickly and doctors should not be dishing them out without a warning.

I personally would try and get by just on paracetamol and ibuprofen if possible but be strong.

• Posted

Dear Susan,

bearing ing mind the short time you have been taking them, your symptoms will be almost totally disappeared in a week inclusive.

Don't whatsoever take a single one; it's no fun trying to come off them when some are used to necking 32 in one go - that's how serious it gets and you will end up in a drug re-hab clinic being givent the same medication, the Dr's prescribe to heroin users.

Codeine metamorphosises in the liver to morphine which for all intents and purposes is heroin - so think about that.

The runs can be controlled with immodium, and take lemsips, and as you've done 2 days, these are the worst so after a week, shrug the nightmare off and tell it to banish itself back to the dungeon from where it came.

If you read through these threads, there's enough nightmare stories in there to put you off codeine for life, and there are worse stories on other forums, including exploding bowels which I'd thoroughly recommend reasing if you're tempted!

Hope this helps,

Rich

• Posted

Susan,

the only "warning" I have ever had was about constipation

• Posted

Dear Both Benggo and Susan,

Within prescription limits, the Dr's are correct. Please believe me, that you must stop, however small the dose you are taking for if it does lead to addiction, you will get more than constipation.

I have had golf ball sized pieces of crap in the blazing white pristine glory of a Sainsbury's WC theat I could only determine through the bright red fresh blood that accompanied them. I had just bought 32N+, and the addiction is so powerful that you still take them, because you know what caused it and you will stop - one day... 

I say to you (like I eventualy managed to have done) is stop. By whatevermeans neccessary.

sorry for being so graphic, but don't fool around. Best wishes,

Rich

Rich

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.