No more dizziness but now spacey and foggy

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi. I was diagnosed with VN in April this year..I was dizzy 24/7 for two months. Then after doing Vestibular therapy and allowing time to pass the dizziness subsided. Thank god! But I still feel spacey and off and have brain fog most of the time. Does anyone know if this is the road to recovery?

1 like, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

That will pass with time.  Keep doing the VRT and stay hydrated.  It just takes time.  A LOT of time!
    • Posted

Hi terry, I think we might have talked on another forum and I just have a couple questions for you. I began consistently doing VRT exercises around May 20th. I see a physical therapist who monitors my progress and I have drastically improved as far as how many exercises I can do and speed. However I STILL do not feel well. Still dizzy, brain fog, lightheaded, bouncy eyes (not as bad) etc. is this normal? Am I a lost cause or do I just need to stick with it? Some days I'm a little better, others are terrible. It's been 4 months and my anxiety is now through the roof and I want to stay in bed more and more. P

• Posted

It was the same for me for probably 8 or 9 months.  I think that the VRT helps but, I believe that time is the most important factor.  The body and brain will try to find a way to heal itself.  My recovery was very cyclical as well.  I would have a few days of seeing progress and then a few days of feeling that it would never end.  Most therapists and ENTs are now seeing the need to incorporate an SSRI into the recovery regimen to treat the anxiety so that the brain can work on healing itself.  This, adding SSRIs, usually occurs if the condition last for over 3 months.  When the body is in the fight or flight mode you cannot expose yourself to the things that you need to in order for the brain to compensate for the damage to the vestibular nerve.  You also cannot get you mind off of the symptoms and normal body feelings involved in balance and spatial awareness.

The VRT took me probably 3 months or so to begin to see an impact.  The nystagmus, bouncy eyes, lasted probably 10 or 11 months for me.  I could not go into large crowded areas or large stores until that resolved.

It gets better just don’t give up.  I am 27 months in my recovery and I am at around 95%.  I have been that way for probably the last 12 months.  The residual 5% deficit may be what I am left with.  Have you tried reducing your sodium intake along with the VRT?  

• Posted

I have labrynthitis since February i have been some what better untill 3 days ago when it comes back i have constant head tension pain feel woozy a bit and when focusing on things it hurts my eyes. I really do hope that it is the recovery for you I've been doing vrt for over 3 months now.

• Posted

My tension pressure went away..I had that too!. I don't have any hearing loss or blurry vision so they don't think it's lab...

I started going on 1.5 mile walks and they seem to help too.

I've been off work so my stress has been better which helps soooo much with this disorder. I just hope when I go back to work I don't have a setback.

• Posted

I had the tension headache for over 2 months it went with the Meds I'm on but came back 3 days ago ??. I've been back at work since April and have been doing well untill Wednesday this week ??. Had to come home early from work yesterday and today. Yeah the walks to work I used to walk loads untill I went back to work. Keep up with your walks and vrt and you'll be fine good luck ??

• Posted

I've read that the spaced out/brain fog is normal to this. There's a site which is labyrinthitis, it has org after that and then uk. It will tell you all the symptoms

• Posted

Sorry I couldn't write out the name of the website.....it would have been stopped

• Posted

I don't have lab... but I will look more into brain fog. And I hope the feeling off and spacey goes awaythen I'd be almost normal smile

• Posted

I've had a sense of detachment ...I guess they call it depersonalization...but as I get better that should as well.

My anti depressants has helped with my mood. But I'm still anxious and nervous to be around large groups and large stores.. fairs... concerts etc. I have motivation I'm just scared because having a vestibular dysfunction enhances the triggers of feeling this way

• Posted

Hello Stacy, I had that foggy blurring feeling for over a year after my initial VN. My doctor put it down to being psychosomatic. After way too long time I could not take it any longer and decided to get another opinion from a new doctor and was diagnosed with  otogenic chronic subjective dizziness and after 2 month of treatment I am 90% of how I felt before the VN. After doing every possible blood test they aslo found out that I had gladula fewer that had flared up again.

Maybe Check out the Otogenic chronic subjective dizziness with your doctor and make sure to do all medical test, especially bood tests.

During the nearly two years of feeling aweful I sturggled on many days seeing the light at the end of the tunnel, but to everyone out there, it will get better. Don't believe your doctor you are psychosomatic, rather get another opinion. When we have VN our brain gets stressed as it receives "wrong" signals and will procuce more adrenaline and after time this easly can upset the chemicals in our brain and causes anxietey and depression even to people that are not prone to. I was described medication for depression and it has changed my life. However it needs to be carfully watched by a person with Psychiatric qualification as sometime this medication can aggrivate the sypmtoms and it may take some time to find the right one.  I also did a cognitive therapy with a psychologist which has helped in a big way to shake off my anxiety and many other aspects of my life benefited as well. I hope you all get better soon. It is so hard as no one can really understand how oweful it feels to have VN and I found it a very lonely place to be. Just take it one day at the time, keep doing the exercises. I also did Tai Chi and still do meditation. All the best, Ursula

• Posted

Hi Ursula....I've read your comments with great interest. Last year I was prescribed antidepressants ....my brother had died and I had blood clots on lungs. In Nov was diagnosed with BPPV and a GP carried out Epley manoeuvre and I was fine....even the depression lifted. I started feeling "off" just before Easter and my GP increased the ADs, but vertigo started again. I now have a referral to ENT because Epley not working.

Two weeks ago I had a hospital follow up appt re my lung clots. Mentioned vertigo/imbalance. Had MRI scan next day. Results are showing that I've had a few mini strokes......but not to worry ?!?!?!? I had always been of the opinion that mini strokes left no residual problems so I cannot understand why I still have vertigo, spaced out feeling in head, fatigue and everything else that accompanies a vestibular disorder!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.