No more fibroids Yipee !

Posted , 8 users are following.

After giving my body a chance to rid itself of multiple fibroids that were having a huge impact on my life I was left with no further options and had a TAH  Friday 11th May 2018. I am 53 now and was diagnosed almost 2 years ago and was advised that weighing under 11 stone ( I was almost 12 stone) would help relief symptoms I was getting . So I lost 3 stone in 8 months ( and kept it off) but still no relief. I was given Esmya , which did relieve the symptoms and was great for me. I continued to take another 2 courses but scans showed the reduction in size was only 1cm . My biggest fibroid was 9cm. I kept putting the op off I was under no pressure to have it from my gyno as he kept saying these tablets will take you to the menopause. However that hope came crashing down  in March 2018 when esmya was pulled off the market and with it my hope of shrinking these critters.I didnt make this choice lightly but I needed to weigh up the quality of life I was getting.I'm lucky my womb has done its job and gave me 2 lovely sons its no longer needed .

Got a long recovery ahead its early days but already I have noticed I can hold my bladder for longer.  This sight has been valuable to me over the past 2 years and I want to say good luck to everyone here xxx

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hallo Julie, Good to kow you are fibroid free. Am happy for you. Am sure you have approach menopause that's why the fibroblasts to go completely because my gyn said if one ovulate monthly ,it gives the fibroid chance to grow once the hormone is secreted .

Good luck and enjoy life to its fullest. Stay health ladies we shall overcome it too.

• Posted

Hi Julie 

I hope you make a speedy recovery and well done for making the decision necessary to improve your quality of life.  I understand completely why you opted for an operation.  Your story is so similar to mine.  I am 52 and my biggest fibroid was 8cm fibroid which luckily shrunk 2cm on Esmya. The symptoms eased and I was told It would take me to menopause without an operation. Like you I had to come off as it was withdrawn and now I’m back to square one. I’m anaemic, suffer restless legs, the periods are horrendous and all of this is really getting me down.  Gynaecology aren’t pushing me to have surgery either as they think I’m so close to menopause but not sure how much longer I can carry on like this.

I am thinking more and more about the operation route but like you say it is a big decision. 

Good luck with your recovery. So glad you are finally fibroid free. 

Best wishes  xx

• Posted

Sue, it is a hard decision to make and it will be a week tomorrow already that I had my hysterectomy but it took me 2 years to come to this decision after trying everything else. Recovery is slow and you need a good support around you but only you can make that decision. I had family telling me a year ago to go for it as I was in so much pain and discomfort so Im hoping its all going to be worth it. Good luck to you and the decision you make xx

Rosemary , I had everything removed as there were lesions on my ovaries and surgeon said leaving them in will cause more harm than good. x

• Posted

Hi Julie,

Congratulations on having made that decision and coming out the other side of the surgery. It's a huge decision, and you were very brave to have the surgery and take the steps to getting your health back. I am 54 - the fibroid is so big and not expected to shrink with menopause as I've been on meds to shrink it already. I am so scared of the surgery and something going wrong. I admire you! 

Wish you a speedy recovery. I am sure it is hard to go through-- hang in there, you are close to having your life back completely. 

All the best, Jamie 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.