No morning erection

Posted , 5 users are following.

I haven't been waking up with a morning erection for months now.

I can still get a erection manually though. Is there something wrong with me?

Could I sleep through them? Is it bad to not get them in the morning?

I'm 30 years old,I work 2 jobs and have a new born. Needless to say I'm tired a lot.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

There's some evidence that new fathers have lower testosterone (google "new baby testosterone"wink, and it's been suggested that this might be to make them more nurturing).

It could also just be a part of getting older.  I used to get "morning wood" most mornings, but it's down to about once a month now (I'm 52).  It isn't something I'd worry about, especially if you're working two jobs and not getting much sleep.

• Posted

Varying general health and stresses will affect hormone levels. Your new life situation would be enough to explain your apparent lack of spontaneous erections. Most men's hormones are at a higher level in the morning - hence the 'morning glory'. As long as you can manually induce an erection your circulation would seem OK, whereas total absence of erections can sometimes suggest circulatory / heart problems. Unlikely at your age. It is possible that your sleep pattern has altered - especially with a new baby in the household, so you may be having erections in your sleep without knowing. This can be measured using a band of paper glued to itself round your shaft before you go to bed. If the paper is intact in the morning and hasn't dropped off your penis then it is likely you had no erection. Not a precise experiment but may be worth a try over a few separated nights.

• Posted

Has long has you can get one when you need it don't worry about morning wood.  You are under a lot of stress.  2 job's a baby.  Try to relax sometime  Take it easy  Ken

• Posted

It's quite possible you get erections while asleep but they are already gone when you wake up. You could try the "stamp" test if you really want to be sure. You take something that will easily rip if your penis gets erect and wrap it around your shaft. If it is ripped when you woke up, you got an erection. I know I've gone an entire week without an erection before, then suddenly I woke up rock hard one morning. It can be stress, your diet, how active you are. When I eat fast food, I'm less likely to wake up hard. When I'm stressed, I'm also not likely to wake up hard. When I'm sedentary for an extensive amount of time, I'm less likely to wake up hard. I used to judge how well I slept on how erect my penis was when I woke up. If I was rigid, I'd feel I got a good night's sleep. I'd get right out of bed when I wake up rock hard, or go back to sleep if flaccid. Not the best barometer, but it worked for me back then. Nowadays, morning wood tells me if my diet is healthy enough (or if I'm drinking enough water). As I said before, having fast food is bad for your penis. So when I avoid it, my penis thanks/rewards me. But I'm guessing it is mostly stress for you. You may want to try meditation right before bed, or chamomile tea. Anything that gets your stressors out of your mind and helps you fall asleep easier should help your wood return.

• Posted

"I haven't been waking up with a morning erection for months now.

I can still get a erection manually though. Is there something wrong with me?"

If you can only get an erection when you want to, that's adaptive. Morning wood without sexual arousal or a receptive mate serves no adaptive purpose and tends to co-occur with constipation or hard stools. Have you been eating more fiber and less protein at night or perhaps overall?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.