no motivation to eat

Posted , 3 users are following.

A while ago I went through a few months of disordered eating. I got sent to a psychiatrist but they sent me away saying “you’re just a teenager”. Eventually I began eating more normally again and got back to a healthier weight. However now I don’t exactly hate my body like I used to, I just have no motivation to eat anything and I have no appetite. I end up living on cereal and people have said they’re concerned for me. It’s not laziness or anything like that. It’s just the fact that I don’t crave any food like I used to, I just go for bland cereal if I’m going to eat at all. This has been going on for a few months and I don’t know what to do. 

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi Ellie,

Is eating this way making you lose weight and are you currently under weight? If your weight is still in the healthy range and your aren't losing it then I wouldn't worry too much about it as you will eventually crave other foods other than bland cereal because your body will start to tell you that it needs other foods to get its nutritional requirements. I remember when I was about 19 all I ate was cereal for breakfast lunch and dinner but I grew out of it so to speak and I also learnt to cook which helped. If eating this way is making you lose weight unhealthily then I would recommend consuming more calorific drinks like smoothies and vege juices as these are easy to consume even when appetite isn't good. Hope this helps x

• Posted

Hi Ellie,

Sorry to hear about your difficulties, it must be tough. How old are you if you don't mind me asking. The reason I ask is because as your body changes into an adult body hormones do all sorts of things to you.

Give me a shout and I'll see how I can help.

By the way, if a psychiatrist or GP says that to you, I'd report them. By dismissing serious problems they could contribute to a life threatening illness by their own ignorance. Sadly in my job I hear these things all the time.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.