No official MS diagnosis as yet

Posted , 3 users are following.

Well its been a long journey so far started several years ago with my Endocronolgist sending me for a emergency ultrasound do to one of my legs swelling up (its' never been the same since that week). 

A little history to degrees, I am 39 years young and lost my mother to unknown medical complications in September of 2014, she'd been ill for a decade and it had only progressed by do to her age (80+) they didn't really look at her to find out what was going wrong and jus treated the symptoms as they came and went. 

I started having some of the current issues back in public school and then they went away and a new one came and never left that started in jr high (1988ish).

Well last year my GP fianlly sent me to another nurologist who ended up dianosing me with Spinal OA, so I felt good now I can get some treatment options and get back to things (ya that was a pipe dream). Told in May 2016 Spinal OA and by October the pain was worse and a lot of the things that I'd had when younger amplified. 

One leg that use to bounce a lot when younger had started back up and boucing to a small degree in 2005, no big deal it happened here and there, but then in 2013 it started getting worse until 2015 I started actually having the other leg go out from underneeth me while the other leg started having mega muscle twitiching going on. 

Then my ability to swallow started to come into question, as in what had started in jr. high increased to the point that regular water was 0 help in swalling food, had to change it up to fizzy water instead just to be able to swallow simple food (even a simple home made french fry - non fried, just baked or of all things lettuce) and even swallowing milks (dairy and non) has become a issue. 

Then add in the past two years that Aphlisa (loss of language - trouble finding words, stuttering and a few other things) started happening and in the past 3 months its gotten progressivly worse. 

Add in muscle wasting, for all I have not stopped my actities I have lost almost all of my muscle mass that I'd built up though weight training, walking, cycling, swimming, etc. I still walk, cycle, swim and do what weight trinaing I am able to do - i've never stopped, but its gotten harder and hard to even do my basics that in 2015 I could do - i can't even press 300 pounds with my legs anymore, and picking up a sack of potatoes without dropping it is its own marical now - which is fripping annoying since I use to be able to lift and carry 75 to 100 pounds without issue just over a year ago. 

My balance is out the window bending over lands me on my face or backside more times than naught. The ENT I saw said its nothing to do with my inner ear or anything of that nature he said it has to be nurological or something of that nature. 

I've never be a fan of large gathering of people or loud sounds, but in the past decade its gotten worse to the point that going into walmart can and will trigger a Sensory Over Load followed by a meltdown if I can't hold it togheter or if we to get many people doing the "oh its a doggie!!!" (we both have service dogs my husband and I - his is for seizure alert and mines orginally for diabetic alert but since started work for other areas of need for me) I don't mind it in general, but when unrully young ones keep distracting our dogs and their parents think its funny or good that upsets me a lot and can start a meltdown (which my boy is starting to understand and learning to help ground me). 

So the run down of my deal is… 

* Senzory Overload

* Muscle Wasting and weakness - not from disue

* loss of height (5'9" to 5'2" in two years time). 

* Dizzyness

* Trouble paying attention at times, that i’ve never had before in my life

* Burning in one leg (lower right) and at times all over the body

* Coronation Issues - I’ll won’t to pick up a glass but my hand will not clasp it or it will them it will drop it. 

* Recently officially been diagnosed with depression 

* Hearing issues that are not related to any actual hearing loss

* Trouble walking - at times my pain will get bad enough that i’ll start to shuffle or i’ll go numb from the neck down and though where power of will i’ll keep moving but if I stop i’m in trouble and will not be able to get myself moving again without help. 

* Muscle Spasms and Weakness - my left leg goes into bouncy mode without rhyme or reason in be it sitting, standing, or prone and its blasted painful when it does and has caused me more then once to hit the floor because it jerked out from underneath me. 

* I sometimes can’t fully go, I’ll think i’ve gone but 5 min later I need to go again (and its not diabetic related). 

* Itching all over my body for no apparent reason, though I’d had this since my youth I have scratched myself bloody because I couldn’t tell that I had scratched myself raw. 

* Heat intolerance issues, again something I’ve had since my youth but its only gotten worse the older I’ve gotten to the point that I’ve had heat exostion to many times in the past several years

* Tingling and numbness in my right leg below the knee but above the anke … i on occasion get it all over my body from the neck down, but its 24/7 in my right lower leg (and its not diabetic nurophanty). 

* Incontinence unfortuatnly is something that I have reported to my GP and she thought it was just me slacking in doing my kegals but I’ve never stop doing them since I had my hysterectomy in 2008. 

* Trouble swallowing food and at times liquid, not all foods but most have at one point in time or another gotten stuck and some I just avoid unless I have fizzy water or pop on hand to make sure I can swallow them. 

* I’m not tired all the time, though it doesn’t take much at times for me to wish to take a nap (which ends up being a hour sleep if I do). 

* I wake up each morning feeling tired (sleep study says I don’t hit REM long enough or often enough). 

* Drug intolerances or a epic nature, as in they either don’t work at all or only kind of work or outright cause issues … such as freezing agents for dental work i’m lucky if it lasts 30 minutes and a redoes = it doesn’t help at all, even ultra cane only has a max of a 2 hour working window before  it wears off. I can’t take anything that is a opiod or opiate without an allergic style reaction and so far no pain medication has ever been found to work that has been tried on me up to 2008 (not tried anything since my hysterectomy). 

My GP isn’t hedging her bets or anything she says could be MS, could be lupus, could be thyroid, could be low B12, could be multiple conditions and not just one - and I totally understand where she is coming from and agree there is nothing to say it is or isn’t as yet - which is why she’s tossing the medical book at me in tests. 

I have seen a Rhumatolgist and even he said he hasn’t got a clue what is going on but that its nothing to do with the OA as far as he is concerned and nothing to do with Fibro either or ME so as my GP said its back to square one and trying to figure things out. 

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

So sorry for all your going through. Hopefully your GP will get all those test done quickly so you can get answers and treatment for your symptoms. I'll say a prayer that this happens for you. It took eliminating all those things and new symptoms along with MRI's and LP to finally have enough info to get a diagnosis for MS. Not knowing really scares a person. I wish you well and quick answers. Take care

• Posted

did the first level of bloodwork today, but second level has to wait ofcourse until the first level has been tested/reviewed to see what else needs to be dun/redun or added to. 

Unfortunatly for some of the testing I have to wait a few months until I get in to see the nurologist unless a spot opens up sooner and they choose to call me in before my schedualed time period happens. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.