No-one can diagnose my problem. I'm desperate

Posted , 9 users are following.

Can someone please, please offer advice?

​I get deep cracks and scaling on my hands and feet. Podiatrist said it's fungal. Pharmacist said it's contact dermatitis. GP said it's possibly an allergy. Treatments for all these suggestions have failed, ie. athlete's foot poweder, every ointment you can name, oral and topical steroid treatments. When I saw a Dermatologist he suggested stronger steroid creams and then Phototherapy NOTHING HAS WORKED. My feet are often so cracked I can't stand upright.

​I'v ehad this problem in a midler form for years ie, cracks would appear, endure for a week, then heal, but now it is here constantly and nothing will heal them. I got a dog a few months ago, but have never been allergic to dogs and show no typical pet allergy symptoms.

​I have also began working from home so am rarely outside. Could it be somehting as simple as lack of sunlight?

​Please help, I'm desperate.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Sunlight could give some relief for a various type of dermatological problems such as psoriasis,dermatitits and some type of eczema.For an accurate diagnosis a skin biopsy is indicated.
  • Posted

I am no doctor, so please understand that what follows is no attempt at giving you a potentially correct diagnosis. However, I have read a lot about what causes a damaged skin barrier, having suffered from eczema for a very long time and eventually curing it with St. John's Wort, a plant better known for its anti-depressor properties.

Most of the time, a damaged skin barrier is caused by improper Keratinocyte Differentiation. Think of this concept as the pieces of a puzzle (keratinocytes) that form an image (your skin barrier). When those cells are improperly differentiated, there are gaps between the pieces of the puzzle and the image becomes incomplete (cracked skin). When the skin is cracked, it causes moisture to get out and external pathogens like bacteria and allergens to get in, which will in turn contribute to the development of various skin diseases. Scientists are not sure yet as to what causes these gaps, but a few theories are emerging that possibly include the lack of certain protein along with possible genetic predispositions.

Regardless, if this indeed the problem in your case, St. John's Wort is known to help stimulate the differentiation of keratinocytes (fill the gaps in your skin), either by applying it in cream or oil form or by ingesting it in pill form. This process ususally takes time (several months). I can testify that it worked perfectly in my case, as I was cured from a 20-year case of eczema after taking 600mg/day of SJW extract for 6 months. 

There are however a few warnings if you are going to try SJW in oral form only, as it can interact with other medicine, especially the birth control pill, so please read about such potential interactions before considering the treatment. But I remain completely free of any flaky skin since I followed the treatment about 3 years ago.

So I suggest you read about those subjects by typing those keywords in your search engine before attempting the treatment for yourself. 

Good luck and enjoy reading!

• Posted

My boy has been suffering from eczema. No doctor was willing to consider the possibility of allergy being a factor. I insisted on immunocap allergy blood test. It turned out he is severely allergic to dust mites and mold. We switched to Cotton clothing, beding, underwear, and all. 

Switch doctors until you find someone who will listen. If you show allergy to dogs, get it out of your life. Allergy shots are frequent and expensive. 

We switched to betametazone and his dermatitis has improved a lot. Sit in the sun a few minutes a day. Moisturize with eczema moisturizer twice a day. No long hot showers. Use ointments not creams. They seal and protect better. Keep reading online and learn what others in similar situation have tried. Good luck.

• Posted

Hi Julie, I have been living with cracked hands for literally 25 years and have tried everything you can imagine to no avail.  About 6 weeks ago I read an article about apple cider vinegar for weight loss and knew a few people who did it so I thought what the heck, I'll give it a try.  Can't say I've lost any weight but unbelieveably my hands no longer crack!! I had never heard of it before but when i determined that it was most likely the apple cider vinegar (ACV) I did a little looking on line.  Your doctor is mostly likely right, its fungal and ACV is an anti fungal. I don't put it on my hands I drink it - yuck- but will continue to do so only because it is wonderful to have hands that are no longer covered in band aids.  I take 2 teaspoons a day with cranberry, orange or pineapple juice. A lot of people take it with warm water, honey and cinnamon.  All I can say is its worth a try. Good luck!
  • Posted

Two things,

1 get patch testing

2 have you heard of TSW (topical steroid withdrawal syndrome/red skin syndrome)

• Posted

Just wanted to recommend Calmurid cream containing urea and lactic acid. I had very bad scaling of my hands due to contact with washing-up liquid. The cream softens cracked skin and promotes a faster healing. In my case, the skin would crack badly around the knuckles to the point where it was almost bleeding. It did sting a bit when first applied but I found it to be very effective. I guess it can be used on the feet too.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.