No one mentions the answer to the hiatus hernia/ Barrett's Oesophagus problem...which is the Nisson operation. I am pursuing this.

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have an appointment to see a consultant. I don't want to spend my life taking drugs that mean I end up with a vitamin deficiency because my stomach no longer produces the acid needed to digest the nutrients. That's crazy. Has anyone had thus operation and did it work?

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

I had a Nissen almost 8 years ago. The surgery was extremely painful, recovery challenging as well. It definitely helped with chest pain and shortness of breath symptoms, but the throat clearing and cough are still present along with mucus for me. I had a second scope last year December and was told that my Nissen is in tact and I had no signs of Gerd, unfortunately still dealing with LPR symptoms.
  • Posted

Oh dear CPjeep, sounds awful! But your symptoms aren't the same as mine, mine are HH and BO as I've said. Thanks for your reply, I'll report back when I know more!
  • Posted

Actually what's crazy ( with all due respect) is that you will end up with a vitamin deficiency...
  • Posted

Sorry thomas83, what do you mean?
  • Posted

Sorry, I did have HH but no barrets.

The Hernia is gone as of last scope.

• Posted

Thanks CP, glad it worked for you!
  • Posted

Hello Lynn,

I suffered from chronic reflux for years caused by a hiatus hernia. I had a lap'nissen fundoplication in 2004. I had no real problems, some hiccuping, difficulty swallowing, soreness and pain but nothing too bad. The operation changed my life, for the first time in 25years I was free of reflux, pain, drugs. I could eat whatever and when ever I wanted but after 10 years my symptoms are back. Most failures seem to be within 2 years. Naturally I am disappointedto be back at square one but I do not regret having the op.

Simon.

• Posted

Oh shucks Simon, bad luck! Do you know why or haven't you had x rays etc yet? Would you have it redone? Lynn.
  • Posted

I am still undergoing investigation but I am sorry to say I don't have much confidence in the Consultant. I have done some looking around on the internet, most of the info about failed fundiplications is American but it seeems the wrap can slip or become displaced. A "redo" seems more challenging than the original op'. If I could find a surgeon in the UK who is competent and experienced in "redos"I would have it done. I think neither the redos or the original fundoplications should be done by general surgeons.

It would also seem that heavy lifting(me) and being violently sick puts alot of strain on this procedure. Ask your surgeon lots and lots of questions, find out how many he has done. Good luck, I am sure it will be fine and I can say if your symptoms are anything like mine this operation will change your life but do not take it for granted. I work in the building industry and it impossible not to avoid lifting things so take good care to look after yourself after it's done.

• Posted

Thank you for all that information Simon, will send updates on my consultation on Wed and further updates.Lynn

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.