No pain shoulder break

Posted , 2 users are following.

After a fall on ice on Monday and subsequent x-rays I've been diagnosed with a small fracture to the humerus. However, I have no pain at all and a reasonable range of movement. Today I went back for a check-up and was given a very impossibly restrictive immobiliser which I simply cannot use because I live alone and getting it on and off alone is nigh-on impossible. I was told that I can move the arm from the elbow down and next week I can remove it entirely up to 6 times a day and do pendulum exercises. My question is, if I have no pain, and a reasonable range of movement - which I don't want to lose by it stiffening up and getting weaker - can I do other exercises too and can I manage with just a simple sling to support the arm rather than an immobiliser? I'm a hiker/runner/cyclist and just itching already to be able to get moving again.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Adele,

Think of it this way, if you do what the doctor says you will be back to norm in due time. However, if you do not do as told, then you could end up with further damage and a longer horrid path to get back to normal.

You just need to make the choice that has the best natural consequences that you can endure the best.

GOSH, I understand the frustration you are going through. Being injured in such a way that it really does not feel like an injury. However it is an injury that could haunt you the rest of your life if it does not heal properly right now.

I wish you the best!

Dawn

• Posted

Why do you say that Jacqueline? I don't have an appointment until 20th February and that just seems too long to wait to me, surely I can start some kind of movement and/or physio prior to that.
    • Posted

Hey----- Don't shoot the messenger .You asked a question, I gave

you an answer. 

• Posted

I fell Christmas Eve while ice skating & fractured the humerus head of my non-dominant arm. I'm in a sling to immobilize the shoulder taking it off 4 times a day to do the pendulum exercises. I'll have another x-ray next week to be sure it's healing well & then I start physical therapy. Like you, I haven't had a lot of pain, but I am listening to the doctor and following his instructions. Apparently while these fractures heal, you could cause more damage. I know how hard it is to be patient during recovery.

Take care. I hope you heal well & fully.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.