No periods

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi, I’m 17 years old and since starting levothyroxine, I am now on (75 mg) I haven’t got my periods for 6 months. I am very worried. What I thought was my period obviously wasn’t, for about a week I had light brown discharge, I know that can be dried up blood but there was no sign of red blood anywhere. It didn’t feel like a period aswell. I am not pregnant as I’ve taken a few tests and I’m on the implant but I have been for nearly 3 Years now, I need to get it taken out soon. 

Can someone please help me I am very worried and I don’t know what to do. Can someone give me some answers please! Is this because of the levothyroxine? 

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi Kerry smile Levothyroxine has different side effects that affect different people, so I would go and have a chat with your doctor about it, just to be sure that nothing else could be affecting your periods. It will save you stressing out, if nothing else, and your doctor will be able to help you with whatever the issue is. smile
  • Posted

Many people post that they find lighter and infrequent periods with levothyroxin. I don’t know if this is a side effect. But I’ve seen enough posts and took Levo enough to know that this can be a side effect.

You have an implant? I suggest you also look at the side effects of the implant. I know some of those implants have horrible side effects and can wreak havoc on your female hormonal system. 

There’s no way to know how these two drugs together will affect your hormonal system. I certainly wouldn’t take a chance.

If it were me, I’d get the patch removed and switch to an NDT for thyroxin.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.