no quad power

Posted , 8 users are following.

morning i am now 1week1day post TKR have ben getting stronger as week has gone on However Quad at front of thigh and Knee very painful and slow leg lift on some days but then no power is this normal. Knee still stif but gets better after few knee bends.. will it become easyer once clips are out

feell that i am not doing things right .

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Melanie, this is absolutely normal.  The muscle has been battered and bruised with the tourniquet they use to stop blood flow while they operate and also all the cutting around the knee affects it all too.  For a few days when I found the slides difficult for the knee bends, I was holding my thigh and helping pull the knee upwards because that muscle was weak and the bruising around the thigh was gloriously purple down the whole of the inside of the thigh - impressive!  Straight leg lifts were fine though, but we are all different!  YES, I found it much easier when clips and dressing were out, but I had a very good bend of the knee and the staples were actually bleeding because the skin was so tight and I guess the knee moving more than it normally would meant there was more pressure on the staples.  But it certainly was a lot easier with them out.  One week and one day is very early days, so don't panic, keep icing and elevating and rest for most of the time.  I remember that feeling SO well - I just felt as though I was fumbling through because I didn't really know what I was doing and worried about the dressing looking absolutely gory so it was still bleeding underneath, and then had a panic when brown liquid started coming out of the two long sides of the dressing (a scenario where they say to get it checked immediately but I was going to get the staples out the next day so with the help of this group didn't panic too much and it was all OK - bleeding from the staples!) but I quickly came to the conclusion that pretty much everything is normal and the affects after the op can range more than anyone could begin to imagine!  Even with the same person with two different knees, it can vary hugely!  I'm five weeks post op today and it all feels like a very long time ago now.  I just can't wait to get signed off by the physio on 18th April and then get booked in for the other knee!  Do feel free to express any worries at all on this group - you're in the right place and will get any reassurance you need.

• Posted

Hi you are doing well. Very very early I am 12 week post op, still have good days and bad. Stiffness a big problem some days stiffer than others. Keep up with the exercising. You will be better after clips are out. Take care
  • Posted

Chris is spot on. Roller coaster ride continues for a long time. Takes a while for quad strength to return. As long as you're swollen, it'll not be 100%.

I remember the weeks and milestones. I still have some left leg swelling. Bilateral pkr nov 16th. I returned to work this Monday for 6hrs, instead of 12, and did ok. Fell asleep for 2.5hrs when i got home not realizing how exhausted i was!. KEY POINT: as long as you know you're doing what u should be doing ie, rest/ice/elevation/exercise--**DONT BE HARD ON YOURSELF****

We cant hurry time and after being in pain and loss of mobility all the way up to getting the surgery, we're anxious to have a life back. Be patient a little longer, a year longer lol!

I saw a PT (PHYSIO) person yesterday as i got some,(new), crunch under left knee cap. Tracking has been a little off due to a weak muscle. She said

WEAK medial QUAD , gave me new exercise. Point is --18wks later, despite walking 1mile 2x a day and an hour on bike with my regular exercises, my quads still arent up to full strength.

Chico Marx constantly reminds everyone its a process filled w ups n downs.

I remind everyone its not just the physical, but MENTAL, process to be up against.

Take care, good luck

:D

• Posted

Chris is spot on. Roller coaster ride continues for a long time. Takes a while for quad strength to return. As long as you're swollen, it'll not be 100%.

I remember the weeks and milestones. I still have some left leg swelling. Bilateral pkr nov 16th. I returned to work this Monday for 6hrs, instead of 12, and did ok. Fell asleep for 2.5hrs when i got home not realizing how exhausted i was!. KEY POINT: as long as you know you're doing what u should be doing ie, rest/ice/elevation/exercise--**DONT BE HARD ON YOURSELF****

We cant hurry time and after being in pain and loss of mobility all the way up to getting the surgery, we're anxious to have a life back. Be patient a little longer, a year longer lol!

I saw a PT (PHYSIO) person yesterday as i got some,(new), crunch under left knee cap. Tracking has been a little off due to a weak muscle. She said

WEAK medial QUAD , gave me new exercise. Point is --18wks later, despite walking 1mile 2x a day and an hour on bike with my regular exercises, my quads still arent up to full strength.

Chico Marx constantly reminds everyone its a process filled w ups n downs.

I remind everyone its not just the physical, but MENTAL, process to be up against.

Take care, good luck

:D

• Posted

You have no quad power because your quad was sliced and diced (think Cuisinart) during the op.  Since you can't exercise the quad for a long while to come, it will continue to atrophy over the next few months.  This is all normal.  If you broke your leg and had it in a cast for 8 weeks, the same thing would happen.

First order of business is to get your 0 / +120 ROM back by breaking down the scar tissue that's forming as we speak.  This will take 8-12 weeks of PT 2x/week plus home exercises.  Forget the quad...ROM is critical.

After this is done, you can hit the gym to rebuild quad, glute and core.  Here's a program...

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/post-tkr-exercising-565527

Just understand that you've got a way to go before you can even start thinking about attempting this exercise program.  The knee has to be straight 0 degrees and bent at least 120 before you can start rebuilding all the muscles that will support the new knee.  Lots of time...lots of work.  The whole thing pretty much takes a year...

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/the-tkr-recovery-bell-curve--563756

Some people think they can just get up and be normal again in a few weeks.  Then reality sets in.  Get rid of all expectations...they just get in the way.  Everyone goes through this differently and you have no idea up front how long it will take you.  One thing is certain: Push the knee and it will blow up like a balloon.  You only have to experience this once to learn your lesson...slow and steady.  The PT, right out of the "middle ages", will be difficult enough.  There will be advances, setbacks and plateaus (the worst)...be prepared...

Some more reading...

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/the-tkr-experience-or-wish-i-had-another-kidney-stone--524499

Welcome to the club...Kneebie...

• Posted

If, in you life, you ever wanted to be I the upper percentile of any sample group,.you made it. 99% of everyone who has a tor has THE same complaint, even those who claim physical fitness as a. Big part of their lives. She you look at the damage that is done in that area and the beating every part of the joint takes plus the torniquet that is used for blood loss control its no wonder the IT band is like a pie e of steel pipe. Keep up with the tightening and leg lifts and eventually things get better. Don't expect e sudden miracle when the staples go because there is still much damage underneath that has to heal. Pain meds on schedule, hydration, elevation, ice ere still the tried and true methods.

• Posted

Hi Melanie,

you are still very early days and what appears to be perfectly normal.

Most definitely it will feel a lot better after having your clips removed ... I was always frightened of them bursting open tbh!

I am now 9 weeks post TKR and still have bad days but they are fewer. Most mornings my knee is stiff but gradually eases up after doing a few stretches.

Since reaching what I can only say was my magical 6 weeks mark everything seemed to be a lot better. Not only my knee but also my state of mind. What no one understands apart from us fellow TKRs is we have been through what is probably the most invasive surgery there is and has a very long recovery process and also one that differs greatly from one person to another.

I had what I can only describe as post operative depression, which apparently unbeknown to me at the time was being made worse by the Tramadol I was prescribed, so I quickly took myself off them and the grey cloud lifted significantly.

This forum is amazing, I'm not sure what I'd have done sometimes without it.

Healing vibes coming your way.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.