No research on Post Herpetic Neuralgia

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have looke all over the net and spoken with alll my doctors. No one knows of any research being done on this desease. There is a clinical trial on a timed release Garbapentin, but that't not getting at the root (pardon the pun) cause. I can't figure this out, since the desease effects so many people. There has to be some mony in it for some company.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Welll I am getting no help with my pain and no good medical advice.  Yes i would be nice to have a medicine to help us.
  • Posted

Hi Penny:

I think most of the money is going to promoting the vaccine.  I have seen some research on topical agents and emailed the university researchers but got no response.  Thre is also a ketamine infusion combined with a coma state that is being used on select patients.  Unfort for most of us there isn't much new.   jim

• Posted

I have just started a topical with loperamide.  A small amount of the cream cost 600 bucks and formulated by a pharmacy.  I researched it and typically used for thermal allodynia (burn victims) vs mechanical allodynia from shingles.   I have just started the treatment and report back.  Something totally different and I hope it will help.   My drug plan does cover it thank God.

jim

• Posted

I'm sure you are right about the allocation of money. I keep kicking myself for passing that sign my pharmacist had advertising vaccine shots. I check on loperamide and it seems pretty serious stuff. Let us know if it is worth it.

• Posted

There is also disturbing new research on the long term use of opiods for chronic pain conditions such as PHN.  Obviously opiods (like high dose fentanyl that I am on) mask the pain vs dealing with the cause.  Research (Google Scholar) is showing opiod induced hyperalgesia.  This means that users can get allodynia from use of the drugs and also have sensitivies to light and sound (as in pain) etc.  This is quite alarming for me given being treated with anti-pain meds that actually can cause the pain that is being treated. I have asked my doctor about ratcheting down the narcotic dose to see if the breakthrough pain is any different at lower doses.  Have been on fentanyl for 7 years.  
    • Posted

I will not use opiods for PHN. As my neurologist says, "Better to suck it up."

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.