no sign of graves disease in blood should i stop methamazol?

Posted , 6 users are following.

afraid of going hypo .... antibodie levels are normal .... should i stop meds ?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

You have to discuss it with your doctor. my unsolicited advice is you should stop as you said your lab results are normal which i assume is at optimal level means not on border line.

• Posted

What dosage of Methimazole are you on? I know in my case my Endo did a great job of slowly reducing my dosages until I was taking only 2.5 mg every other day. All my labs were exactly where I wanted them to be, FT3 and FT4 in the middle of the range and TSH between 1.0 and 2.0. My antibodies were not detectable yet I was reluctant to discontinue the first time he brought it up. Finally a year ago I agreed to stop it. During that year, my values remained normal until this January when my TSH dropped from 1.5 to 0.76 and I had cardiac symptoms. This happened during a period of stress in my life. My Endo told me to take the Regular L-Carnitine again instead of going back on the meds and after two weeks, measured my blood tests again. My TSH had risen back over 1.0 and I have remained on 500 mg of Regular L-Carnitine and recently blood tested again and have remained normal. That's 12 years now in remission for me.

• Posted

A question that you should ask your endocrinologist , don't you think?

• Posted

I agree 100% We are not physicians and have no right to give medical advice.

• Posted

i should have rephrase my question .

i was weened off methomazloe 2.5 per day for 2 months and my antibody blood levels were checked by an integrative doctor other than my endocrinologist… In between Endocronologist visits .. I decided to stop taking the drug as it seemed i may be going hypo and was gaining a bit of weight .. i stopped the meds for 2 weeks and noticed i feel more energy and no more lower back pain .... im due to see endochonolgist in a weekl after more blood work from him

lets see what he says, just wondering if anyone had this experience

i know i am in remission from GRAVES but didnt know if i should stay on low dose even if i have signs of going hypothyroid

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.