No sleep

Posted , 7 users are following.

So went to bed lastnight, but couldnt sleep at all..obsessive thoughts going round & around my head, guess I must have droped off sometime in early morning as when I woke up my anxiety was through the roof, & obsessive thoughts started as soon as I opened my eyes..

I'm into my 3rd week on sertraline @ 50mg daily, am wondering if maybe another med might help the obsessive thoughts/anxiety..?

1 like, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi know what you mean about no sleep and obsessive thought, this increases anxiety. I be just started Sertralline but decided to stop due to the awful side effects etc. try to see your GP as there are alternatives and CBT. Hope you feel better soon.
  • Posted

Hi, my advice would be give it a while longer, maybe a week or 2, I have heard it can take 4-12 weeks to work. I am on 4 weeks and 4 days and still getting anxiety. I have no trouble sleeping, but I take mine just as I'm getting in bed at night. What time do u take yours as it might be a case of changing the time u take it, if not u might need to up your dose to feel any benefit. Normally 50mg is just the starting dose and most people settle on 100mg or 150mg. It's still early days for u yet. Have u got any other med to try and calm the anxiety until the sert kicks in. I am on propranolol 40mgx3 a day to calm the physical side of panic and I also use rescue remedy when the thoughts and anxiety r bad, I def recommend rescue remedy iot has seriously helped me and also so has keeping busy ie knitting, word search , reading etc. I am 34 and just learnt to knit and it really helps when I am very panicky, pls let me know how your doing and always think positive thoughts x
    • Posted

I take mine around mid day so maybe I should take it later, I'll give it a go.

agreed it is still early days for me, next time I see my gp I will ask about the propanolol although its getting hard to get an appointment these days!..

Thanks for your comments & help guys.

• Posted

Yes try different times as that might help. The first 7-10 were hazey but from then until week 3 I was having a few good days and then the anxiety returned until now, today I have been ok, I had abit of morning anxiety but once I got up for half hr to an hr I have been ok, try rescue remedy until u can get to doctors, u can get it in supermarkets or chemists and it's about £4 , u can also get a night time one if u have trouble sleeping from anxiety etc, it has got me through some anxious moments. I have been speaking to a lot of people on here and they said they have not really seen any benefits until 6 weeks or more so I'm very hopeful, but if I am not where I want to be by week 8 I will ask the doc to up me gradually 75mg, I think going to 100mg from 50mg is a bit steep and I don't want any harsh side effects like heightened anxiety, keep positive and if u ever need a chat etc I'm here x
    • Posted

Go onto utube and find a meditation for sleep and if u can play it to urself in bed it may help u to redirect ur thoughts and u will drift off more settled and easier....and hopefully by redirecting those thoughts ur anxiety will lessen 😄 hope this helps
  • Posted

I'm about to start sertraline 50 mg I really hope it works should I cont with propranolol also I have all the symptoms everyone is talking about its so scary I just want to be me again good luck everyone 
    • Posted

Hope the sertraline works for you, I feel like it has helped with my depresion so far but realy hasnt helped with my anxiety & obsessive thougths.

Stay strong.

• Posted

Yes continue with the propranolol. I'm on it also, 40mg x3 a day x
  • Posted

Thanks everyone for the advice good luck to you all one day we will all feel healthy again and be able to live life as normal fingers crossed xx

• Posted

hi you must powerfull your self and not depend on sertraline just. the life so sweet if you have hope and see to tomorrow in good .
  • Posted

It's the obsessive thoughts that send me into a panic I can just b watching something and boom there you go- it's horrible! How do you stop the vicious circle of them- I've been on citalopram for a week now so hoping I see the affects soon and can beat this!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.