No sleep for 5 days, still in agony! What should I do?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi, I recently in the last 6 months finally got in to an NHS dentist. Before then I have had emergency appointments to begin the root canal process but could not have this finished until I got a dentist. My first appointment my dentist suggested completing the root canal treatment but I couldn't afford it so I had to cancel the appointment. Now 6 months later I have horrific tooth ache. I haven't slept for more than 4 hours a night since Sunday due to the pain. I saw a dentist again and they prescribed 250g of Amoxicillin and 200g of Metronidazole 3 times a day. I've been taking these since Wednesday lunchtime so have taken 5/15 tablets from each pack so far. I know they will work soon but I was wondering how long it would take and what I can do for the pain in the meantime? I have been taking a mixture of co-codamol and ibuprofen which don't seem to work all the time. I'm so tired and in pain and I don't know what to do. Please help!

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

why not have the tooth pulled save yourself from the pain otherwise this should help

Rinse With Salt Water

Placing hot or cold water in your mouth may cause a shock to your already sensitive tooth. Rinsing with warm salt water may be helpful. Mix a couple teaspoons of table salt in a glass of warm water, then try swishing the mixture in your mouth. In addition to easing the pain and cleaning the infected areas, the salt also helps to draw out excess fluid around the swollen gum tissues.

Apply Ice to Stop Inflammation

The presence of cold helps to curb pain and swelling in superficial nerves, so applying an ice pack wrapped in a towel to the face may help numb the pain. You should, however, never apply ice directly to the tooth. Even very cold drinks may cause pain if the root is going bad; this also applies to hot drinks and sugary foods.

Apply Oil of Cloves

Oil of cloves is an essential oil found in health food stores that can help soothe tooth pain. Apply a few drops to a cotton swab, then apply to the affected tooth. If the oil of cloves is too strong, dilute it with some olive oil.

Exercise May Help

You may not feel like moving around if you have a throbbing toothache, but for people who are used to exercise, moving about can release endorphins, which are the body's natural pain relievers. You may find that a brisk walk is helpful.

Mind and Body Relaxation

Getting your body into a relaxed state may help to alleviate some tooth pain. Guide your mind into a state of relaxation by concentrating on something pleasant, practicing deep breathing, and listening to soothing music -- this will hopefully divert your attention away from the pain. If all else fails, try an analgesic; anything you take for a headache, such as aspirin, ibuprofen or acetaminophen should help combat the pain until you can see your dentist.

also try a non cooked onion on the tooth or soem anbesol or even some whisky yes hard liqour can help with tooth but see a dentist asap to fix the issue try to see iof they offer care credit

• Posted

Rachael, I'm with Kaitlin on this one. Why not just have the tooth extracted? That will guarantee an end to the pain.

Maybe I was just unlucky, but I've had two root canals (on different teeth) in the past 20 years, neither of which left me with a functioning tooth - i.e. one I could actually chew on without pain - and in both cases I developed an abscess a few years down the line and had to have the tooth out anyway.

• Posted

Hi both, I'm definitely going to have an extraction when I can afford to which I'm hoping will be next month.

I didn't get the advice of an extraction from my first dentist just that root canal would be the best course although it isn't 100% guaranteed to work.

I've tried the salt water and the ice. The ice definitely works for a short period but the salt water doesn't really.

I will have to get clove oil as a lot of people have mentioned it.

It feels like slightly less of a pain this morning so I'm taking this as a good sign.

I finish my course of antibiotics on Monday so hopefully by then it will have gone.

Thank you for your advice!

• Posted

Ouch!  Your situation sound absolutely miserable. By the time I read your post, you may have already begun to feel some relief.  Somehow figure out how to get that root canal paid for.  Sell something if you have to.  Good luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.