Hi

Advice needed

I was taking 15mg at night

15mg in the morning

It stopped working last week for my insomnia

I am now on 3.75mg of zoplicone to get me to sleep

Anyone else had this?

What's the solution?

Any other dual meds they I could ask for alongside the mirt?

Help neded

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

• Posted

I take 30mg at beadtime and sleep like the dead. I believe that taking the 15mg in the morning could be sabotaging evening sleep.
    • Posted

I have to agree with you gavin 52682. I was a sleep deprived mess when I tried 30mg at night (even 22.5). I was like walking dead the next day and could not function at all. Of course, everyone reacts differently, but it was my personal experience that I slept better on 15mg. My dr also told me that the lower dose was more sedating and when I went higher up in dose, yes i slept, but my brain wasn't getting into the deep sleep needed to feel good the next day.   I've been on 15mg for 5 years but it has stopped working for me (for anxiety). I'm finally just about off it. I've not found another medication that has helped me sleep (they gave me pounding heart in middle of the night) so now I've weaned down to 3.75mg mirt and I also take magnesium and I sleep quite well. There is a brand of magnesium out there in flavored powder formula that I drink warm and it seems to do the trick.

• Posted

Hi gavin:  I agree with James.  I've been taking Mirt for 20 years and always before going to bed.  If I took 15. mgs during the day, I'd feel kind of dull and sleepy -- ended up taking naps which kept me awake longer at night.  Try taking 30 at night for a while to see if your pattern changes.  I cut the 30 mg dose down to 15 (I'm attempting to wean off of Mirt) and it has not disturbed my sleep.  I don't know anything about zoplicone so not sure they should be taken together if you up your nighttime dose to 30 mgs.  Might want to check with your doc.

• Posted

hi Gavin,  I thought mirt was generally taken at night only. 15mg seems to be the optimum amount for sleep so I would question the morning dose. I dont use mirt at all now but use zopiclone for sleep help but not that effective. 
    • Posted

Drew how long have u been taking zop Zoplicone?

Do u take it every night?

• Posted

hi Gavin,  I have been using zopiclone for about a fortnight. 3.75 perhaps gets me 2-3 hours. Did not use last night and still managed a bit of sleep.

Getting off to sleep is not bad but staying under is the hard bit.  5-6 am is the hard bit but trying to get out for an hours walk early on 

• Posted

Hi Gavin

I'm on 15mg Mirtazapine at night. I've been on it for about 6 weeks but take Quetiapene at night too. So on alot of night meds and for the first 2 weeks I was very sleepy adjusting to Mirtazapene but then began struggling with insominia on and off making getting outdoors and things done impossible. For example last night I had no sleep even forced myself out of bed at 2am to try sleep hygiene but still no sleep. Then after getting in/ out of bed I finally slept from 2-5pm!! So gonna keep trying to implement sleep hygiene tips (been reading through handouts about it I got from psychoed workshops) from my local CMHT.

I am considering asking my psychiatrist if I can cone off it as its giving extra side effects but not helping my anxiety/depression and sleep issues.

Take care

?

• Posted

So even though you are taking quetiapine and 15mg of mirt you are still not sleeping?
    • Posted

I'm taking 15 mgs MIRT and 50 mgs Doxepin (2, 25 mgs tabs.) and I sleep for 7 hours like a baby.  Haven't had this much uninterrupted sleep since I was a child.

• Posted

Hi: Mspanda -- see my reply to gavin.  Mirt never helped me for anxiety but at 30 mgs for depression (mildly effective).  It's a decent med with less side effect than some but works differently from person to person.  If you are not getting the sedative benefits after 6 weeks on 15, ask doc about upper to 30 mgs. at bedtime.

• Posted

Hi frazzled

I have been told the more you take at bedtime the less sedating it is????

• Posted

Hi gavin:  Maybe the person who told you that is experiencing a different effect -- as we know no two bodies react the same way to the same chemicals that are put in them.  I found over the past 20 years that 30 mgs at bedtime will have me heading for the bed about 20 minutes after I've taken it. I started at 15 mgs and slowing increased to 30 mgs. After so many years of taking it tho my body has become somewhat use to it so now doc has added 50 mgs (2, 25 mg tabs.) of doxepin after I decreased the Mirt to 15 mgs.  Works for me.

• Posted

I am only on 7.5 mirtaz as when i go higher I get very anxious and have migraines and feel mor depressed.   The sleep it used to give me has stopped and i am wondering about doxepin.  Do you think psych will let me try that, i am on warfarin and not sure it will be allowable.
    • Posted

Hi ann:  I don't think doxepin would pose a problem while taking warfarin but you'd had to check with your doc.  Warfarin is a blood thinner so I really don't think that will matter but make sure.  Doxepin is a great med with few side effects that i've noticed. 

• Posted

Yeah. Really messed up sleep. The heat weather wise isn't helping either. But snatching some sleep between 6am - 1pm at the mo.

• Posted

Hi Frazzled. Ok will mention it BUT I am worried about increasing if no use then struggling to come off it.
    • Posted

Hi Mspanda:  Ask doc about doxepin.  Instead of increasing the Mirt, the addition of this med may help.  Do a bit of net research to see what you think of the med.  I know that withdrawal from Mirt is rough (going thru that now) so if you can get away without increasing to 30 mgs. go for it.  I had no side effects adding doxepin, I'm only taking a low dose at 50 mgs. and it's made a big difference.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.