No Solution for my ETD? :(

Posted , 7 users are following.

HI everyone, I have just joined this page and I feel almost relieved to see that other people struggle with the things I do -- it can be really FRUSTRATING sometimes. I was suffering from ETD for about 2.5 years with no diagnosis, and after my Dr. realizing I was having hearing loss, as a result, we opted in for PE tubes. I had the tubes put in in June, and it was a very rough recovery for my right ear (my bad ear), and I could not get the "open" and "echo-ey" feeling out of my ear for a week. Finally, it healed, but then the problem came back in July. I don't really know how to describe it other than my voice was echoing in my head, and I could no longer "block" my ears due to the PE tube, but it felt like my right ear was "open." I was prescribed ear drops which felt like I had finally gotten the relief I needed, until about a month ago. I returned to my job at a restaurant and every time I was at work my right ear would "open" and it would all be so echo-ey and I could hardly hear a thing out of it. (Also my blinking and yawning became audible in my right ear.) I went to my Dr. but he said it was brought on likely by the loud noises at work and that there was nothing they could do. NOW my right ear is constantly "opening" and I can hearing my blinks and yawns, and hearing out of it is becoming so frustrating. I am 21 years old and I just sometimes feel like my life has been taken over by my ETD and there will never be a real fix. I guess I am just looking to see if anyone has had trouble with their PE tubes after getting them??? I am not sure how to "relieve" this issue because I can't "block" my ears anymore by sniffing while holding my nose with the tubes in. I am just feeling really helpless. Any advice or someone else who understands will help. Thanks guys

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I have written several threads on my experience with  ETD, But I have nothing to offer since you have the tubes in your ears. Seems like the tube has failed, the echo would be related to the dysfunction. The ENT I went to did not recommend the tubes, only tuboplasty which insurance won’t cover.

Dr. Mandell on YouTube helped me, I have done well but not tested in cold weather yet. I would search him on YouTube and query him. Good luck.

• Posted

I have some symptoms very similar  to yours Paige0501 .I can't blow the blocked feeling away either.If you look at my last posting I put my  symptons  there & what I've found is how little the medics know about this condition.

• Posted

Hi paige

I'm really feeling your anxiety because of etd issues

I myself have had problems for more than a month now

Woke up with a cold and sounds in my ears then blocked up with mucus so everytime i yawn or swallow i hear crackling

It has caused me so much anxiety as i was having hearing sensitivity at one point

Praying to god all these issues will resolve

• Posted

Hey Sarah

Just wanted to check if your symptoms ever disappeared? The constant clicking when you swallow? If so, what did you do to get rid of it? It's driving me crazy! 😃

• Posted

Hi, have you ever had your bite checked by an orthodontist? the ET is right next to the jaw so if the jaw muscles are affected it can affect the ET as well

• Posted

My bite is perfect & actually don't have ETD,but that is how my GP refers to it because like the three MRIs I've had he has no clue what else to call it. If you read what I've submitted here previously you might be able to understand from where they are coming.I have no pain whatsoever,but I do have is enormous pressure in my head & ears & they suggest it must be only in my mind.You cannot be surprised to know how deliriously happy that makes me.

• Posted

I haven't read your other comments but I will say that there are loads of ways in which the bite can look good but still be bad for jaw function. Too far forward/back/slightly sloped.

There's adevice called a t-scan that you might find useful.

If you feel pressure then muscle forces are something you should definitely look into

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.