No steroids for me

Posted , 13 users are following.

I've just been diagnosed with PMR today, I can't take steroids as I'm type 2 diabetic, is there any other way that can relieve PMR ?

0 likes, 37 replies

37 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi, I am so sorry you have been diagnosed with PMR, who on earth told you that you cannot take steroids if you have type 2 diabetes? You just have to be careful. Without steroids PMR can be incredibly painful and not recommended. 
  • Posted

Hi,

Have you tried prescription anti inflammatory meds?  K7

• Posted

Prescription anti-inflammatory meds, will not touch PMR, only thing that does is prednislone.
  • Posted

Hi, I discovered and was diaganosed with T2 diabetes just prior to my diagnosis of PMR ! (T2 IN Dec 15 / PMR in Feb 16)

Since then I have been taking Metaphormin and Sitagliptin to keep the Pred ' s at bay. I have had to review my whole diet for both conditions but so far couping well and keeping my B'S well within the guidelines.

So far working well as can be expected! Good Luck

• Posted

Thankyou for alll your replies. 

Ive been in pain for a while and they have been taking lots of blood tests to find out what was wrong. I had a bad day again and saw a Dr that wasnt my usual one, she said i could have PMR and took more tests, she said that if it is steriods is what relives the pain but as im type 2 (medicated) this is not recommended. A week later i phoned up and the receptionist said my blodd was fine, i thougt this strange as i was still in pain, booked an appointment and got my usual Doc, he confirmed PMR, that was on Friday. He also said the same that sterionds are not recommended as it raises your blood sugar and causes alot of other side effects. Sice then i have read a bit more and now i dont know what to do. Im off work yet again today as im in pain. From what ive read its worse in the morning, yes it is, but it also is painfull throughout the day. To be honest im feeling pretty down today.

• Posted

Your GP is wrong.   Yes you have Type 2 Diabetes, but you can take prednisolone and then watch your diet and talk to your diabetic nurse.

We had the Lead Dietician at a support group meeting of PMR and GCA patients some of who have Type 1 and Type 2 Diabetes and are taking prednisoone.   The Lady  has written an extremely informative article on Diabetes - you can find this article on the pmr gca northeast  website in the summer newsletter.  One of our members has had Type 2 diabetes for over 10 years and PMR for 3 years.

• Posted

Thankyou so much for this info, ive just had a quick look at it and so informative, i live in the south east area and noticed there are support groups. Ive just got an appointment with my diabetic nurse today and going to discuss with her, maybe then i will know what to do next, fingers crossed xxx 
    • Posted

If you are in the southeast - where are you (-ish)? Maybe we can direct you to a suitable rheumatologist with appropriate experience.

You need a good PMR-experienced rheumatologist to manage you because it is really a case where the average GP is out of his depth - no pred isn't ideal when you are diabetic, but there isn't a choice sometimes. There are a couple of particularly good PMR people south of London - and you can choose who your first referral is to. It's worth a bit of a hike to get a good doctor! 

• Posted

My usual Doc sent me for a chest xray (which ive now done) and has refered me to a rheumatoid clinic, so im guessing i will get help to deal with it there
  • Posted

I was unable to take preds due to my medical history. I was prescribed methotrexate. It worked for me. I keep reading that preds are the only option for PMR and that if methotrexate works it must have been because I didn't have PMR in the first place. My consultant still has no doubt about the original diagnosis.

It so happens that I know someone who has PMR who has also been prescribed methotrexate. It has worked for him too.

I really cannot comment further. Seems to me you are in the hands of your consultant.

• Posted

I know a man somewhat over 70 years old, who also was diagnosed with PMR after diabetes.  He does take pred, and hasn't been doing very well with his reductions (doesn't really look after himself, doesn't exercise) but nevertheless is at around 8 mg which isn't bad.  He also had to get a pacemaker.  I think he's had PMR for about two or three years.  Recently he was enrolled in a program at a health clinic where he will be carefully monitored and start exercising.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.