No stock of orlistat !!!!

Posted , 69 users are following.

Hi everyone this is my first time on here.

As I can't get my prescription from any local

Chemists everyone is saying there is a problem

With the manafactuer. Has anybody else had the same

Problem.

Help xxx

4 likes, 579 replies

579 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi

Yes I am also having a problem getting hold of Orlistat. I had one month's supply on 8 February and was due to get one today, tried two chemists but as you said problems with the manufacturing process and they don't know when they will get anymore in. Great when you're trying to lose weight.

Here's hoping.

• Posted

Gosh that is so disappointing for the both of you.....keep to the low fat if you don't get them....if you can, pretend you are still on them....I found this hard after I stopped last time and the weight has slowly gone on again.....we have only one chemist who stocks Orlistat and so glad they do! I would be gutted if they ran out or had a problem getting it! Take care!

As you may have read I'm starting Sat 10th March.....

There are very few people responding on these posts than there were 2 years ago - there were some folk who were so helpful to everyone and I'll miss them even though I've done it all before.

• Posted

No one seems to have it round my area. i have been off it now for a week luckily my diet seems to be doing well as I am still loosing the weight. Im sure i would be doing even better when i get back on it.
  • Posted

You know that is not really good enough that you cannot get a prescription fulfilled. Does your normal pharmacist not know, or indeed if they wanted to be helpful, find out who does have it - surely if you posted them the prescription and an SAE it should be possible to get it. Indeed they are the ones who should be getting it for you.

I think I would go further and try and find out the telephone number of the Pharmacy Governing Body (or go on the web) and tell them you are not being served in a proper manner.

There is also the thought that if you can manage to keep to the low fat amount then do it but I found it hard without the 'threat' of the blueys....eventually I slid and slid down the slippery slope back to my old ways.....think this time I would be more disciplined but who knows. Life is a continual battle whilst I have a skinny sister who could eat and eat!!

• Posted

I too am having trouble getting hold of Orlistat. I have tried 15 local chemists and they all say the same thing. I have 6 tablets left and, after speaking with my nurse today will only take 1 tablet a day with my main meal.

This seem so unfair when we are trying so hard to lose weight and can't get hold of the drugs to assist us.

• Posted

15 chemists and no Orlistat...that is just awful......I wonder what is wrong with the manufacturers....I'm very cynical about all of this.....could it be that these tablets are so expensive that chemists are loath to stock them? I just feel there is something else wrong and you are the fall guys. Wish it wasn't like that - I really feel for you - stick to your low fat regime anyhow....don't do like me and slip away from it....it's so hard to get back.

All the best and I hope you all get this sorted...what about going back to the Dr?

• Posted

It's no good going back to the GP. There isn't an alternative to Orlistat, (so I was told) so we just have to wait until they come back in.

I am lucky, as I have about 6 days supply left. I don't eat much fat anyway, so don't take them at every meal.

• Posted

I have also now been without this prescription medication for 14 days now.

Same reasons given by Pharmacist currently not available and no date when they will. Have tried over 20 different chemists in England and Wales with same result, none left in any branches either.

This is a awful state of affairs, even the weaker over the counter ones are now not available to purchase.

• Posted

I was passing my chemist this morning and called in and asked the pharmacist why there was a great dearth of Orlistat. Apparently this has all to do with Licences - a simple explanation would be that a medicine is tested very well and is then released under Licence...after 10 years that finishes and any company can ask for the recipe...then there is usually a blip in manufacture until it is ready...this is a very simplistic explanation indeed.....my chemist has 1 lot of Orlistat and 1 1/2 of Xenical....if he has none of the Orlistat when I present my prescription that's it! He tells me that he couldn't give me the Xenical as it costs £30 and the Orlistat costs £5......so I guess I'm going to be in the same position as you folks.....one positive note...on my Chemist's list of the latest drugs unavailable it states that there will be an update about supply of Orlistat around the middle of March...hopefully something will work in our favour soon.
  • Posted

I asked the pharmacist in Asda this morning if he knew when they would get a new supply. According to him it will be the end of April. So everybody hang on in there and hope for the best.
  • Posted

Hi

I was prescribed on Friday and was ready to start today, only cannot find a chemist that has any stocks triedabout 25 chemist in leics. Does anyone know of any chemist that have stocks? Maybe i could post my

Prescription to them. All siked up and don't wxnt to wait weeks. Please help if you know if anywhere.

• Posted

Sorry I can't help you as I'm in Northern Ireland but feel for you. It may be a while of course but an excellent opportunity for you to prepare yourself and wind down the fat intake for when you do get the blueys. Hope we all get them in the very near future.

All the best.

• Posted

hi all.. new here, i was prescribed 3 weeks ago and can't get any tablets down here either.. took me ages to get up the courage to approach the doctor too
  • Posted

I emailed Roche who are the UK distributor of Orlistat and they said they will have no news until at least the middle of May from the manufacturers in the States.

They did however say that there are other generic forms around and we should get our doctors to write scripts for that. I have still had no luck. I don't think the chemists want to let the generic tabs go out under scripts as they are making so much money out of them over the counter, far more than Orlistat.

Mike

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.